IMI Residence or Beacon Hotel - Sandyford?

boogaloo

Hello,

I'm staying in Dublin after a concert in May - planning on going to Dundrum shopping centre the following day for a browse around.

We will not have a car so relying on public transport - the Luas mainly.

Which of the above hotels would be safest for 2 females at night? Are both hotels within easy walking distance of the Luas line? What are areas around either like?

Also, are the hotels near to each other?

Its for the Bruce Springsteen concert in the RDS, but our budget is less than 150 per room for the night. Any other hotels I should consider?

both are fairly close to dundrum and the Luas.
Would think the IMI Residence is probably better for that purpose as walk is along a residential road. Walk from Luas to Beacon should be ok too but if you're nervous about walking on a deserted road at night (quite a short distance) maybe consider going with IMI.

have you tried [broken link removed](Ballsbridge - 119€ per room) or the [broken link removed] which are both within striking distance of the RDS - not as close to Dundrum though. There is also the re-opened Jury's (walking distance) or Burlington Hotel (bit further to walk). Lots of B&Bs close to the RDS too. The Burlington or the Hilton Hotel (Charlemont St) would be close to the Luas for access to Dundrum.

I find the Dublin Journey Planner useful for finding my way around the city: [broken link removed]

What about d4 Hotels? Just across the road from the RDS. And you could either walk/bus into Stephen's Green on the Saturday and get a Luas to Dundrum (about 15 mins) or get a taxi from the hotel?

Only availability on D4 hotels is 299 euro for the night, above our budget.

No availability in the Hilton, Bewleys or Herbert Park unfortunately.

Other option is to stay somewhere like Rathmines or Ranelagh - maybe the Days hotel in Rathmines?

Or else just stick with the IMI residence? Hell, at least we should get a good night's sleep as it will be quiet!

The IMI residence is nice but very quiet. There's nothing to do there and it doesn't have anything of the buzz of a normal hotel. It doesn't have a bar or restaurant for example but you could order drinks to you room. It's mainly a convenience for those staying for conferences.

The Beacon is a much hipper and livlier spot with a cocktail bar and a great thai/Asian restaurant. It's about a ten minute walk from the Balally luas station. It's a bit of a lonely walk along a long bleak but well lit street. The area is generally goood, however, so walk briskly and you'll be fine. You'll have to walk this road anyway to get to the IMI which is an additional 15 minutes walk.

If it was me I'd go for the Beacon unless the price of the IMI is very cheap by comparison.

Have you considered a guest house? There's a very nice one on the Sandyford Road, about 10 mins walk from Dundrum Town Centre, and the 44 bus passes by. I work in the area and we often have visitors who stay there.

Gatineau Guest House
Sandyford Road, Sandyford
Dublin

Phone: 01-295 6439

Back