Image use - Copyright issues?

stocious

hello folks, wondering if anyone can spread any knowledge for which I'd be very grateful:

If i was to create, mass produce, and sell a poster (for home or commercial decoration) containing the images of famous people, am I legally entitled to do this? do royalties have to be paid for this? ie. can I just use anyone's image on a poster or are there copyright issues?

many thanks for any help on this.........

I think there are two issues here.

Number one is to do with copyright, e.g if you use a photo taken by someone other than yourself it must either be copyright free or you must pay the copyright holder for using it. If you wish to make changes to a photo (e.g crop it, photoshop it) you must have the copyright holder's permission as otherwise you could infringe their moral rights.

Secondly I have a feeling that you would need image rights if you wished to use a pic of a famous person. I don't know very much about this area though, so you should get proper advice on this.

thanks for that Sar, you've broken it down nicely there. Regarding point 1, I'm seeking a new images and will employ an artist to come up with the scene and characters, so I'll be negotiating copyright issues with them.

Regarding your 2nd point, this is what I was thinking, any idea where/with who you would get proper advice in ireland? or online?
cheers.

Have you tried foltolia.com or dreamstime.com for stock images. We use them for most of our brochures etc. Extremley cheap. May not be the celebrity angle but you will defintley get the theme.

Presuming you have got permission from a photographer to use their images, it's generally the photographers issue to have got a model release from the subject, which states that they can then use that image for sales/advertising whatever. This is usually done just before the photoshoot.

Back