I'm not sure what's happening

TarfHead

We have 2 PCs at home sharing a wireless network. On the Desktop PC, I occasionally see a small pop-up over the System Tray indicating something is using the POP3 service. When I notice it, it appears for such a short time I don't have time to record the details. Outlook Express is not active at the time so it's not something I am (intentionally) initiating.

I'm running WinXP SP2 and had a look at Event Viewer with Control Panel Administatrive Tools. I see a record of 'Logon/Logoff' with User 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' and Event ID '540'. There is no-one using the 2nd PC in the house when this is happening.

I use AVG for virus protection and it's all up-to-date. I ran Skybot S&D and it didn't find anything.

Any suggestions where I could look to find out more about this ?

Doing virus/malware scans on a PC that may already be infected may not work. Maybe try scanning the hard disk in a different PC or booting from something like UBCD/UBCD4WIN or a GNU/Linux live CD and doing a scan when the main hard disk is "passive" and not the live system/boot volume. Might also be worth scanning for root kits just in case...

[broken link removed]

Is your wireless network protected with adequate encryption (i.e. WPA)? Does this happen around the same time very day or at various times? Have you installed any "free" software recently?

Back