Ikea

Erith

Has anyone figured out a sensible way of buying from IKEA in Ireland?
Have thought about driving to Liverpool but it seems like a lot of effort.

This key post on is quite old but you may find something helpful therein.

There are also one or two other threads that might be of interest in this search on

Hopefully you won't get caught up in :)

FYI ... Just read today in the Sunday Times that Flatpackireland have gone bust leaving a few people out of pocket.

Flatpackireland were charging €150 or 30% of your shopping bill, whichever is higher, for delivery so on €4500 worth of IKEA goods they would charge €1500 - pure rip-off and good riddens to them I say.

I flew over to IKEA in glasgow and bought 5 grands worth of gear and got it delivered by the courier company in IKEA. You collect all the stuff from the warehouse, pay for it, come through the checkout and go to the delivery guys (DFDS I think is the company) and they count all your boxes and sticker each one. Its £75 per trolley (minimum order is 2 trollies costing £150) and you can get plenty onto a trolley and use a bit of smooth talking to get away with it if they give you hassle that it is overpacked. The trollies are flatpack trollies and I got 2 mattresses, 2 beds, kitchen table, bookshelf and a few more bits and bobs onto one trolley. I really had 4 trollies but managed to get them to take for only 3 as I was rushing to catch my flight and told them I didnt have time to move it all onto 3 trollies (not that it would have fitted).

I also bought 4 sofas (2 for sister) and as these were being made to order (as many of the sofas are) and delivered later there was a separate delivery charge but I think that £75 covered all four sofas.

So on my 5 grand shopping I paid around €350-400 in total for delivery which is very reasonable IMO. They delivered it one week later and the lads carried every item into our dining room at the back of the house.

Be warned though - the place is deceptively big and takes some amount of time to get through. I advise using a clipboard to jot down the reference codes as you go round and then before you go into the ware house break these down by aisles, actually go into the warehouse first to get an idea of the layout of the aisles - this will save a lot of time that would be wasted by visiting each aisle more than once.

Note that some stuff may be out of stock so ring or use their website to check if you have a particular product in mind. Before hitting the ware house nab a staff member (who were all brilliant) and get them to check availability of all your gear, also use them to order all your 'contact staff member' stuff in one go - this is stuff in a non-public area of the warehouse that staff have to pick for you once the order comes through - getting it all done in one batch is handier and reduces chances of them messing it up. Expect a fairly long delay at that collection point and you have to pay for the goods at the checkout first so anticipate this delay.

You can buy strong cardboard boxes in the Home Org section and use these for transporting all the bits and bobs (kitchen bathroom and lighting stuff/accessories are exceptionally good deals).

Went to IKEA Cardiff the weekend before last. Rosslare to Fishguard by ferry at 09:00, then about 2.5 hour drive to IKEA. Had all day at the store and got the 02:45 ferry back.
The summer ferry schedule will make things even easier - fast Lynx at 08:00 takes only 90 minutes to Fishguard and there's a fast ferry back at 20:00 the same evening.
Great if you don't want to buy very large items - you can fit a lot in & on even a small car.

gerry
Unregistered User
IKEA

I sent an order through to these guys and they never replied. ALso tried to ring them but the phone was never answered so I never bothered.

.............told you so........................

I was in Domus recently and I thought they can definitely help plug the Ikea gap even if the stuff isn't as cheap.

They are a Spanish furniture chain, have just opened newly in Ireland in Coolmine estate in Blanch , I've bought some furniture there. I was asking them about accessories and they have entire catelogues full of stuff that you can order - I ordered a towel rail I couldn't find anywhere else.

They seem to have the facility as well to order units in different sizes etc i.e. plan it out yourself.

Back