IKEA Trip

valentine

Have got great advice from reading through the previous threads. I have a four bed house to furnish so feel that an IKEA trip will be well worth doing. Planning to fly to Glasgow, pick up small stuff and then depending on whether I like the stuff I have been lusting over online to get it shipped over here. Has anyone else done that? How have they found the service and how long has it taken?
Am finding it impossible to speak to a live person in Glasgow! Any advice much appreciated!
Thanks

i think from looking through previous threads that you'd be better going to the ikea in edinburgh as they deliver to ireland. friends of mine in glasgow got their kitchen stuff in ikea. however another friend's father went with her to an ikea (he's in the building trade) and wasn't impressed with the build quality of the kitchen presses.

Glasgow are also now delivering to Ireland and Edinburgh are very much focussed on an online delivery service which seems a little chaotic and the lead in times are very long! Really feel that from reading through the threads it would be best to see the stuff first. Wondering has anyone done Glasgow recently?

Did a trip to Ikea in both Edinburgh and Glasgow about 4 years ago with the intentions of furnishing a three bed house. (Had business in Edinburgh and went onto Glasgow since it was bigger). We took the car on the ferry. To cut a long story short, we ended up just filling the car with a few smaller items (kitchen items, mirrors, bathroom cabinets) as most of the bigger items (beds, dining tables, chairs etc) were not in stock and we couldn't order as we were told it was a cash-and-carry! I would try to get in contact with Ikea and find out if there is any way to check if the items you want are in stock. At the time, Excel were doing an independent delivery service and we were planning on using them for the big items. Ended up not bothering with the bigger items. Not sure how delivery is organised now.

We went to Glasgow to get mainly bookcases and a coffee table. Found it really worth going over, saw stuff that in the catalogue looked better/worse plus we got our coffee table on sale which you wouldn't see in the catalogue. Checked out kitchens in Edinburgh this year haven't bought yet but again it was useful to see them in real life as you can see the quality up close. We considered a cheaper design, I think it was 'Edel', and it didn't look great in real life whereas the showrooms helped us decide the 'abstract' with oak counters was the way we wanted to go. Delivery from Glasgow was very efficient.Give yourself double the amount of time you think you'll need, seriously!Don't fly ryanair to Glasgow, they are about an hour away and Ikea is on the other side of town.

Thanks Paul5 and Moneygrower. Moneygrower, Is the Glasgow store much bigger than the Edinburgh one one. Impressed to hear that delivery was quick - how quick? Paul 5 you can now check if the stuff is in stock online. most of it seems to be at the moment. Someone told me that Tuesday is a good day as most of the new deliveries are in. Had planned to fly Ryanair so thanks for the tip!

I think they were about the same size, I didn't notice a difference though I had less time in Edinburgh.
The delivery was a little shorter than what they estimated whatever that was, sorry I don't remember just remember being pleasantly surprised.
I'd fly with aerlingus, they left us stranded in Glasgow because we were two minutes after their check out time, flew back next day with aerlingus for a fiver, haven't looked back since, they're often just a cheap, but not as cheap if you know what I mean. Their all day breakfast is good for plane fodder!

Hi

I've just furnished a two bed apt from Ikea. I picked out everything on the internet, emailed Ikea Edinburgh, got a quote and had all my furniture 3 weeks later (took 2 weeks to manufacture the couches). A very nice delivery man (who arrived exactly on time) even helped me bring the all flat packs up to my 1st floor apt - they're not supposed to carry furniture up to apts. The order was exactly spot on.

It took a few days to put everything together but I am really pleased with the quality and all my visitors have loved the furniture! Some have even ordered stuff since. I would highly recommend the service.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but can anyone recall when Ikea are due to open here (either North or South)??

I think they got planning permission for their large warehouse design around the M50 exit to Coolock/malahide area, some months back?

think one due to open in Belfast by end of this year.

Ballymun (at least that's where I thought it was going) ikea sometime next year.

went to edinburgh ikea and had it delivered.
Didn't get everything we wanted and made lots of silly mistakes (eg getting a table that's too big etc) as we didn't have keys for house when we flew over as we had planned to when we booked the flights!

Delivery was very speedy (too quick as they delivered before we got the keys!). Shopped on a Sunday, delivery came on Tuesday. Needed 2 more deliveries before they got the order right.

Make sure you know what you want before you go and take proper measurements;)

Just to update - have done the trip and it couldn't have been more pleasant. Met with the business2business people in Edinburgh on arrival and got great assistance and help in store. Filled up our wheelie trollies and came home to e-mail them our final order of all the big stuff which should hopefully be shipped within three weeks.
Flights were €2.99 each way, taxi to Ikea from airport was £20. All in all a great day out and hopefully all the furniture will arrive soon.

We ordered most of the furniture for our flat through Ikea Edinburgh. They were pretty busy and it took about a month for us to get our delivery.

Most of the stuff arrived in perfect nick, but they had made some mistakes and had sent us the wrong sizes for things. They sent us out a consolidation order in a week with the missing/correct items on it.

Even though there were errors, I'm still really glad that we went with Ikea. Our furniture looks great and for a fraction of the price we would have paid here. Putting the furniture together is a bit of a pain but most furniture places are flatpacked now - you can't avoid it!

Hi im just wondering do ikea do everything u need to decorate a new house.Kitchens,suites of furniture,fitted wardrobes,solid flooring etc....Im planning on buying from them and would like to know how long before wanting the products would you need to be going??Also does it actually work out much cheaper even with currency change??

To give you an idea of the price, we bought all furniture for our one bedroom apartment from Ikea (apart from our sofa and kitchen, which was already there) and it came to 3000 euros including delivery. That's the bed, mattress, bedroom furniture, duvets, pillows, cushions, tables, chairs, desk, bookshelves, bathroom accessories and cupboards, etc, you name it we got it from Ikea!

I'm not sure what you mean by working out cheaper with the currency exchange - cheaper than what? A mate of mine spent 3000 euros on her bedroom furniture alone here in Ireland - but I'm sure people can get cheaper!

Regarding how long you should wait before you go to Ikea, I'd call the branch you'd like to go to and ask them what their waiting times are like. But it's best to order a brochure before you go there to get a good idea of what they stock, sizes, etc. This will prevent you from picking up stuff that's too large for your place. (There are instructions about ordering the Ikea catalogue somewhere in AAM - just do a search for it)

Good luck!

Back