Ikea in Mallow

PetrolHead

Don't laugh... I read it in the paper...!!!

Anyone know any more about this?

Just wondered.

Sure you can fly to it from the Arklow Internation Airport.

[broken link removed]

Why laugh?

Mallow would be an ideal location .... easily accessed from many counties ..

short trip from Cork city, Limerick, Killarney, Tralee etc.

And a disaster for every local hardware, furniture etc shop in the entire South West!!

As someone who visted the Belfast one a few times, I think this is an incredibly hyped brand/store.

Ok so there are some nice things and some nice prices, but there is also a lot of tat and high prices like everywhere else.

But I suppose its all about marketing, and they do that well.

If the South and South West are to get an IKEA then Mallow would be one of the best locations for it.

I wouldn't just knock the idea.
It might never happen but then it's quite possible that it will

In terms of national coverage, bearing in mind Dublin & Belfast are covered, the ideal location would proabably be Limerick. Half way from Cork to Galway, fairly decent roads, good rail links (not, I suppose, that that matters too much for a furniture store).

From what I've seen on the internet catalogue its mainly modern/minimalist looking stuff. Grand like, but would it look a bit odd with a pair of dirty wellies parked side it, butter melting on the shhpuds and a big glass a buttermilk on the table ...... anyone reading the Munster rugby supporter hype will know we're all earthy types in Munster

I think that having one in Belfast and one in Dublin is one too many as it is.

I know that there are people who go there for a "day out" but that is not the key revenue for Ikea. It's all about going there and spending at least €500.

There should be one in Dublin and that's it. Accessible in two hours from both Belfast and Cork on the motorways.

I think Mallow is a perfect location for an IKEA. It also has the space for carparks etc and wont cause any congestion issues as it might if it we in Cork or Limerick cities. Gerat employment for North Cork as well. Mind you when I was in Ikea in Dublin a few weeks ago I came across a lot of staff but only one Irish one, I thought that was odd.

I dont think it will wipe out local businesses. It will be a big hit for a while but from a stock point of view their lines are limited and don't change a whole lot, people won't want their houses all looking the same.

Is it any funnier then IKEA currently being near the Ballymun flats?

Mallow would be a good location, especially when the new Motorway is built. You'd have a catchment area with a population of around 500000 peope within an hour-90 minutes drive

What's all this?!

Does it actually matter one iota to terrontress or anyone else if there is more than 1 Ikea in the country?!

What's all this?!

Does it actually matter one iota to terrontress or anyone else if there is more than 1 Ikea in the country?!

If Ikea think they can make money out of it then fine. Who am I to say what a private corporation should do?

But take a look at GB or mainland Europe and see how many heads of population each Ikea serves. It is much more than 500,000 people as suggested on here.

If Ikea is to be used, as it is by many, as a place to go on a Sunday, let the kids jump on the furniture and then eat some meatballs and a hot dog then maybe 500,000 is a good catchment.

But that is not where Ikea makes its money.

The Ikea in Belfast was, I believe, built with the idea that the Dublin one might never get the go ahead. It is the biggest Ikea in the UK. And it is quite empty now that people no longer need to cross the border.

So, I think Ikea will not open in Mallow.

It's all about going there and spending at least €500.

There should be one in Dublin and that's it. Accessible in two hours from both Belfast and Cork on the motorways.

And the fines for breaking the speed limit in getting from Cork city to Ballymun in less than 2 hours !

Is it any funnier then IKEA currently being near the Ballymun flats?

The difference is the concentration of people within the radius of Ballymun flats. The Ikea business model is quite strict. It's not built on a "people will come" philosophy.

The viability of their model requires business on a huge scale. They need to reasonably anticpated minimum levels of footfall and require a premises the sze of sevral airplane hangars. As I recall, they resisted coming to Dublin for years because the the maximum amount of space allowable by law for retail operations didn't facilitate their model.

I dont think it will wipe out local businesses. It will be a big hit for a while but from a stock point of view their lines are limited and don't change a whole lot, people won't want their houses all looking the same.

There you are wrong. I have friends with businesses in the local area and they are already struggling to keep their doors open with Tesco expanding into non-groceries and the specials in Lidl and Aldi often selling at cheaper than my friends can buy them. One of the businesses is over 40 years old, has a long history of great customer service and loyalty...until now, even the most loyal are being led by their pockets. It's so sad.

Ikea don't only do the big furniture, think of the toys, kitchen supplies, bedding...they would hit so many different businesses.

Well... what can I say, if I hadn't had an Ikea at hand, I wouldn't have a kitchen, or a livingroom or a bedroom... Why? Because I cannot afford speding 10k+ in a small kitchen (they're all the same no matter where you buy them), I wouldn't decorate a livingroom in a granny style, and I couldn't afford a bed + matress + closet at the price that they sell those in the main st.

I'm really sorry for those who have businesses around, but honestly, the last time I ever bought a piece of furniture from a "traditional" store, it was quite expensive and when I got it delivered, it came in a flatpack. Big disappointment.

I would be more than glad if they opened an Ikea in Mallow, really really happy.

Agree Silverwake, I needed quite a lot of bookcasing, and to maximise space wanted them as high as possible. I could not find anything to suit my needs in any furniture shop, and was left with the choice of 2k in Ikea or over 6k for a custom job. It was a no brainer for me.

Yeah I suppose this is worrying for the decades to come.

Will we see a day when the town centres are dead, and we all shop in out of town retail parks, with only 10 or so retailers like Tesco, Ikea, Currys, Homebase, Argos etc?

After all, Tesco now do insurance, toys, clothes, etc on top of food. The more these firms diversify the more they eat into other businesses, and thus make them unsustainable.

But people are led by money and convenience. It might well happen.

Pretty much inevitable, happening all over the country.
Nenagh is surrounded by massive supermarkets. Lidl, Dunnes and Tesco has large stores on the outskirts. Both the Limerick and Dublin roads
The town centre is dying.
And if you don't own a car, then it's a taxi for you or a nice long walk

Now repeat for pretty much any mid sized town.
I'd imagine we'll have Walmart or at least their European company ASDA in Ireland at some stage. Companies are well able to make profits here