ikea home delivery from Edinburgh store

D

Deleted 15555

Wondering has anyone tried the service they offer from the edinburgh store for home delivery to Ireland?
Thanks

It's the Glasgow store that delivers to Ireland, the Edinburgh store will deliver online goods to Ireland but the cost of shipping far outweighs the benefit of reduced prices.
Glasgow is very handy, book cheap flights in advance on aer lingus then about 7 sterling each way in a taxi to the store.
Just back from there in November they delivered 3 pallets load of goods for 400euro, we reckon we saved @2000euro for better quality goods then shop prices in Ireland.
Delivery arrived 3 days after we got home.
Be prepared its a long day, you have take your items yourself off there shelves in a big warehouse at the back of the store.
You'd need a couple of people if you're getting a lot of stuff, some of the items (beds/cabinets) are fairly heavy.

I would also add that (although I'm an Ikea fan) I would never order goods from them without having seen them in reality i.e. in a shop.

The catalogue and online photographs are often different from the actual item when you see it close up. I'm not saying they are trying to swindle you, just that the quality and 'finish' of the goods varies - usually reflected in the price.

I was there the last weekend in November and I have not received delivery of my order yet! I must contact them... We got a lot of stuff and it was going to take 3 pallets and we were told we were getting a deal on delivery at 350 pound sterling. I would have considered driving a rental van to Wales in hindsight.

Thanks for all the input - my husband wants to drive to warrington and load up the car with the roof bars on it and the back seat down instead of doing the edinburgh thing so its great to have had your input on the prices - he reckons there will be bits and pieces that we will want to pick up there ourselves.

Has anyone done that??? don't know what the Warrington store is like??

Will let you know how I get on.

Hey SBW

Myself and my husband did a trip to the Warrington store last year. Whilst we did it totally @rsed-ways (ferry overnight from dublin port return etc. - nightmare), we did get loads of stuff packed into our Fiesta (!!) and got great value and quality - I do love Ikea. The store is excellent - doesn't open till 10am on weekdays (9.30am for breakfast first) - but you could (and we did) wander around it for hours. We did the ground floor first, paid for our stuff, loaded up the car; then we did the first floor (all the furniture/kitchen/bigger items up there) and loaded up the car again. Great idea if you have a decent size vehicle to drive over but don't do the overnight ferry

M

ps: we found it a bit hard to find - ended up keeping driving down this particular road as we hadn't gone far enough - it's off a rather busy road in an industrial park with a huge Next beside it and several other big shops (and a MacD's of course which came in handy at 7am )