IG Spread Betting a/c & Brexit

1dave123

Hi Brendan B

A quick question if I may - Did your Spread Betting A/c actually move to IG Europe last year. Did you receive a confirmation email when it happened.

In June 2020 I clicked on the link which was a permanent fixture on my IG Dashboard - "Don't let Brexit affect your trading". I completed the process and did ID verification via ID-Now. I got an on screen notification to confirm all was done and IG would be in touch in due course. The 'Brexit link' disappeared. All sorted - I thought.

As I had heard nothing from IG I emailed them last week to find out when the transfer is going to take place and the reply I received was that IG Europe do not do spread betting and so no transfer will be taking place. I could apply direct to IG Europe to open a CFD a/c. That's it.

I asked the person to recheck their reply and another person emailed back a week later to say almost exactly the same thing - almost word for word. IG Europe do not do spread betting.

I had pointed out the process I had completed at IG's invitation and the fact that I knew some Irish residents had already transferred their spread bet a/cs to IG Europe ............. all points were completely ignored. IG Europe do not offer spread betting a/c to anyone.

Any insights u have on your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi dave

I found them very difficult to understand. I thought I had switched and then they kept telling me to switch.

But as it happened, I switched to CMC Markets which is much better. Not sure how they are set up, but they are not pestering me every day about Brexit.

Brendan

Hi Brendan - thanks for the reply. It looks like I might have to explore CMC Markets too. I have sent IG one last email. All the best.

Back