If you're sick of clamper threads, don't read this.

GarBow

Appologies for dragging up an age old complaint but i really need to let off steam over this.

I arrive home this evening and receive a phone call from the wife, she has been clamped for the second time in as many months in the train station car park.

Now, since the introduction of 'pay parking' in the station she has bought a valid ticket each and every week. In the first clamping incident the ticket had slid off the dash and fallen,as she shut the door, face UP on the floor. Had the clamper had the sense (which is, no doubt, an attribute that most clampers do not posess) to avert his eyes in another direction apart from the dash board, he would have noticed the unintentional mistake that had occured. This, i suspect, is not in their remit.

Now to today's incidednt. My wife had the cheek to display two tickets. One for last week and one for this. The clamper, in his wisdom, decided to ignor the valid ticket and choose to determine the invalid ticket was the one he liked.

On the first occasion i could almost forgive the guy. Perhaps he forgot his prescription glasses or whatever but today i fell like removing his testicles.

I phoned the company in question, not to berate but to question whether it's possible to purchase a more sturdy, annual permit or the like but alas no, we have to keep buying weekly tickets that weigh approx 0.003 grams and ensure they are securly balanced on the dash after closing the door, breathing or god forbid, breaking wind.

I'm off to buy a big roll of sellotape.

(No association to sellotape by the way)

Is the sellotape to prevent future wind breaking ? No seriously that incident today is certainly over the top. I mean presumably he ought to have known that it would be challenged given that she had a valid ticket, that he was just wasting everyones time. I presume it is being challenged and that you can use the remainder of the sellotape to fix up the hurley afterwards.

I empathise with clamper-dude for once.

Why not use the very neat little transparent plastic clip conveniently situated on the driver's side of the windscreen? Its specifically put there to hold car-park passes, parking permits, etc.

These little gizmos are right up there with a lot of the conveniences on modern cars like electric starting (rather than a manual crank), electric lights (no need for carbide lamps, matches and explosion risks), metal roofs (rather than none or a leaky canvas one), etc. :rolleyes:

I empathise with clamper-dude for once.

Why not use the very neat little transparent plastic clip conveniently situated on the driver's side of the windscreen? Its specifically put there to hold car-park passes, parking permits, etc.

These little gizmos are right up there with a lot of the conveniences on modern cars like electric starting (rather than a manual crank), electric lights (no need for carbide lamps, matches and explosion risks), metal roofs (rather than none or a leaky canvas one), etc. :rolleyes:

Er, because quite a few cars don't have them?

Which - electric starters, electric lights or the little clip on the windscreen?

LOL. The little clip. My car doesn't have one. And no, I've never seen one for sale anywhere, although I do not frequent motor factors. And sellotape can be bought just about anywhere...

Das auto, das rhight, the neat little transparent plastic clip conveniently situated on the driver's side of the windscreen was prototyped on that car and it consisted of a large black Bakelite shelf. :)

Someone (Vanilla maybe) might correct me here but I don't believe it's illegal to remove a clamp. I believe that the fee is for removal. A set of bump-keys (costing less the the cost of one clamp removal) could enable someone to remove the clamp without damage, take a photo on their phone and work on.

I would look for refund of fee as you had valid ticket.

I sure the clampers would have a fair idea by now of cars that are at the car park each day and who pays and who does not. More than likely the car is parked in same space/ general area.

I think clamping companies should be made pay compenation or release without a fee if they arrive and you have ticket in hand even if it fell off windscreen.

Someone (Vanilla maybe) might correct me here but I don't believe it's illegal to remove a clamp. I believe that the fee is for removal. A set of bump-keys (costing less the the cost of one clamp removal) could enable someone to remove the clamp without damage, take a photo on their phone and work on.

Very interesting. Love to hear about the legality aspect too.

How should I know? I get more queries on contracts involving bulls and jennets and pedigree animals than clamping. ;)

Billk- the voice of reason.

And ps aren't Volvo owned by Ford now? That would make them American.

Back