If you have an idea to help the state

dodo

If you think you have a good idea to help the state do you just tell your local TD and then follow up at a later date.

Ah no, tell us here on AAM, get your idea dissected and criticised, or ( unlikely but possible) acclaimed, then it gets picked up as a news story by some hack looking for their next article, then some hapless backbencher will try to raise it in the dail from where it will never see the light of day again.

It's good to see this cruel world has not made you cynical Vanilla.

Or alternatively use it as the basis of a Ph.D thesis. Once the thesis is near finished, and especially if it involves sex of any kind ( quite how this would help the state is another matter) ( and note sex is not always necessary but it does help so if you could get it in there somehow...) send a 3 line explanation to Richard and Judy, TV AM and the ilk. You will shortly thereafter become famous for five minutes and can feel free to write self-help or guidance books on the subject.

Disect all you like , I see alot of young teenagers from around 13-17 yrs of age causing problems in the local area ie breaking glass at bus shelters,drinking beer then interfering with eldery people in the area that sort of thing, These teenagers come from normal backgrounds for the most.They get caught by police brought home stay good for a while then stray again peer pressure and all that. Anti social behaviour seems to be getting worse, what can you do with a naughty 14 yr old. I really do believe at this age you should be responsible for your actions. So to drive the point home if a teenager is found to have broken rules set by the state then I think they should have their passport put on hold for a year, ie they would not be allowed travel outside the Country for a year,If I knew this could happen to me as a teenager I would think long and hard about been naughty and what issues it could cause for a family holiday. It would mean parents would really want to know where their children are at all times.

I reckon that your suggestion could be unconstitutional unless you convict the individual and incarcerate them or otherwise circumscribe their liberty?

[broken link removed]

What's wrong with providing facilities for them such as youth clubs? Surely more productive

Surely if they are that bad you'd want them out of the country as much as possible?

Surely if they are that bad you'd want them out of the country as much as possible?

Nice slant BillK, I guess that would fall under the heading "dissected"

Seriously. kids have very little to do in the new Ireland of today. In the new towns and developments it seems there is very little attention paid the value of a football pitch or the like.

I lived germany for a couple of years and the facilites they have in even the smallest of towns would amazed you.(well it amazed me, because I came from Ireland)

Seriously. kids have very little to do in the new Ireland of today. In the new towns and developments it seems there is very little attention paid the value of a football pitch or the like.
"Areas of green land" as Stan Staunton called them?

Good idea Dodo and something I've discussed with friends before. As previously mentioned not sure if it would be constitutional. Maybe we could stamp their passports with an ASBO logo of some sort and they could be refused entry at the other end.

I'd also make criminals pay for their own incarceration even if it's just taking 20% of their dole money when they get out.

I know I digress but I really don't get this "there's not much/ a lot less things for young people to do now"; is that really the case? Or is it more that we think children must be entertained? There are probably more opportunities for young people now in terms of sports, hobbies, personal development, the arts etc than ever existed 20 or 30 years ago. Young people are more savvy now and have far greater opportunities to explore their own interests and discover themselves, thanks in large part to the internet (when used responsively). Another huge change is the availability of summer and casual employment; young people can and do earn their own money now.

I'd also make criminals pay for their own incarceration even if it's just taking 20% of their dole money when they get out.

You would hope that the criminals(at least some of them)would be some what reformed after their incareration, not be going straight on the dole.

I think they should work, like the chain gangs in the US that would go some way to paying their debt to Ireland and the cost of the crimes and incareration.

Exactly. When I was young, there was less to do. Difference was, if I didn't have a good reason to be out at night, I wasn't allowed out. End of story.