If teaching and nursing are professions how about taxi driving?

Re: I have no sympathy whatsoever with those "spoiled brat" taxi drivers.

Teachers/ Nurses etc refer to themselves as a profession. Same thing.

Maybe we're talking semantics here, but I would call a taxi driver a "profession" before "trade".

Maybe we're talking semantics here, but I would call a taxi driver a "profession" before "trade".

It's neither. It's an occupation.

It's neither. It's an occupation.

+1. A profession usually requires difficult examinations, coupled with defined experience requirements, controlled by an institute/body which also limits entrants, such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants etc

How is this the same?

My apologies, nursing is a profession; they are required to be members of a professional body in order to practice. Their body enforces standards and can and does suspend and strike nurses off the professional register. By any standards that’s a professional body.
Teachers, as far as I’m aware, have no such body and so teaching is not a profession.
Chartered accountants are, for me, a bit of a grey area since eve if they get kicked out of their professional body they can still work as an accountant.

Teachers receive tax relief for being members of a statutory professional body. No different to any other profession in receipt of this - such as doctors, solicitors, accountants, nurses.

It is my understanding that taxi drivers are not members of a statutory professional body.

Marion

Teachers receive tax relief for being members of a statutory professional body. No different to any other profession in receipt of this - such as doctors, solicitors, accountants, nurses.

It is my understanding that taxi drivers are not members of a statutory professional body.

Marion

What statutory professional body do teachers belong to?

All teachers in Ireland now have to be members of The Teaching Council.

What disciplinary body is in place in order to enforce standards and punish those who fail to meet minimum standards or breach behavioural guidelines?
What mechanism exists for a member of the public to make a complaint against a teacher (I see no link from their home page)?
How many teachers have been struck off the register of teachers each year since the Teaching Council was set up in 2001?

In short, is it a real professional body or just an empty quango?

What disciplinary body is in place in order to enforce standards and punish those who fail to meet minimum standards or breach behavioural guidelines?
What mechanism exists for a member of the public to make a complaint against a teacher (I see no link from their home page)?
How many teachers have been struck off the register of teachers each year since the Teaching Council was set up in 2001?

In short, is it a real professional body or just an empty quango?

Not sure, to be honest. It may be complicated by the fact that many teachers are employees of their boards of management, even though they're salaries are paid by the Dept. of Ed.

With regard to complaints against teachers, as far as I know, they are lodged with the local schools inspector.

Which is all totally pointless because, as we are regularly reminded around here, public servants can't be fired anyway! Right? ;)

No, they can and are.
I'm just asking a question; no agenda.

I know you have no agenda. I agree with you. I know a few teachers who lost their jobs and also a few who resigned before losing their jobs, when the writing was on the wall.

So is it true to say then that teachers are not now, nor were they ever, a profession as eloquently defined by Purple above? They are / were "professionals" only insofar as they accepted payment for doing whatever it is they do / did?

I have no agenda, I'm just seeking clarity and consensus.

Back