If public sector workers took 1 week unpaid holiday

I see this has degenerated into another boring, insulting them-versus-us thread (sigh) .... so what is the title of the thread again?

The problem is that there are far too many people who are incapable of having constructive debates, if they feel too strongly about a subject.

On some debates your points are said to be bias or motivated in one way, irrespective of their relevance. But the poster ignores to actually debate valid arguements in favour of simply trying to get the other person to stoop down to their level.

"I think the pensions levy was a fair tax on a Pension that's benefits are not truely appreciated by the public service. The government should of gone further and allowed people to opt in or out of this pension benefit which would of meant that people that dont appreciate the pension could avoid the pension levy" = I am a private sector pig with no clue what I am talking about. I took a private sector job because i wanted to get rich and have no clue how hard it is in the public service. I have not even factored in how hard they work. If I had it my way, people in the public service would get no holidays, no entitled sick leave and probabley no pay.

"I think the private sector employees are feeling the pinch as much, if not more then the public service. They are getting wage decreses in all levels of employment and are generally far more fearful of losing their jobs then those with full time contracts in the PS". Well, while we do feel for people losing () their jobs, its tough luck. They chose to go for the better paid jobs over the Public sector ones they wouldnt spit on. Also, see above for more "facts".

"People in the public service , particularly in the lower wage category, are being hit twice. They are already struggling to pay the bills as it is". Tough, they have good pension and will at least keep their jobs . .

I could go on, but you get my meaning . . .

...And I thought there was a ban on PS bashing in place?

Whos is PS bashing . . .

Im just making a point that, generally, neither side is capable of rationally discussing many issues in relation to the others industry, my previous post just highlights how ignorant both sides can be to the others cause. . .

Unless of course there is a ban on ignoramus bashing . . .

NorthDrum hasn't been doing any 'bashing'. He's made some valid points re the Public Sector and has also admitted that PS posters have valid points to make as well. The bottom line is that neither the public nor the private sector are perfect and we could all learn stuff from each other if we stopped shouting for long enough and were prepared to budge a bit from our original stances.

Well said.

100% :thumbsup:

There is so much distrust on both sides, its a very difficult topic to debate rationally (hence the ban).

Its a shame really as I think alot could be done if both sides could sit down, genuinly empathise with the other (instead of hollow support) and work out how they can work together to improve things . .

Hmmm... my last post seems to have been taken up completely the wrong way. Sorry folks. All I meant to do was ADD to Northdrum's great post by pointing out that I did indeed get the meaning of it (most of it was in quotation marks after all)! I thought the three points before the first word would indicate that. My sarcasm didn't come across, perhaps I should've added ?

Last edited:

Ah thats Fair enough.

I have that same trouble with emails with friends, sometimes they can get upset because sarcasm doesnt always transfer well written down!! .

If proof were needed that AAM is on the pulse.....

Today's budget has made provision for "shorter working year scheme", where all civil servants (not just those with children who could apply for term time) can apply for between 2 and 13 weeks unpaid leave per year......Mass exodus in July/August then?!

I was wondering why this wasn't extended to the wider public service.

Yes and a couple of months back, someone on AAM suggested paid career breaks for civil servants, which is another scheme the government have put in place.
Maybe AAM posters should form a party and run for government.........

Becky, I think the plan is to extend it to the wider service.

Without doubt. We were talking there and concluded that they want to see what the update of the early retirement scheme will be first. I personally can see a lot of young nurses for example availing of it so they can do a bit of travelling with the guarantee they will have a job afterwards.

Only in absentia. And we don't take very long holidays