"If I die" file

Blackrock1

Sorry if this has been covered before, but i often think about what would happen if one was to die suddenly and how you could best have important information collated so that your spouse or whoever could piece everything together should something happen.

I am thinking a folder somewhere secure with:
Details of any life policies
Details of any mortgages
Bank logins
Pension details and online logins
Summary of any valuables (watches / jewellery)
Details of any other investments

Anything else i am missing? has anyone else done this?

I would be cautious about including anything like passwords. God forbid, if there was a break in it is a gift bag of access!

I would say details of where you have accounts/policies but not the actual log ins. Probably more important to nominate your spouse as a named person on accounts so they can act on your behalf or get info. And also consider if your spouse is the correct person, do you have a trusted friend or family member who could help your bereaved spouse with all this admin? Let them know also of the existence of the file.

Coincidentally, I'm also thinking about this at the moment. You can buy a small enough fireproof safe / strongbox for a reasonably small sum. I had one years ago that you could fit under the bed. Some allow you to bolt them into a concrete floor or wall. I think I'd prefer a combination lock. I can tell a couple of the inner circle people the combination. Keys get lost over time.

Like @so-crates I wouldn't be inclined to leave passwords to anything financial. If I'm dead someone can go about sorting things in the usual way as long as they have the account numbers.

A copy of your will should also go in there. (If you don't have a will, I'd give that priority.)

You can also throw in a few letters to loved ones and/or instructions as to your preferences when you die.

Coincidentally, I'm also thinking about this at the moment. You can buy a small enough fireproof safe / strongbox for a reasonably small sum. I had one years ago that you could fit under the bed. Some allow you to bolt them into a concrete floor or wall. I think I'd prefer a combination lock. I can tell a couple of the inner circle people the combination. Keys get lost over time.

Like @so-crates I wouldn't be inclined to leave passwords to anything financial. If I'm dead someone can go about sorting things in the usual way as long as they have the account numbers.

A copy of your will should also go in there. (If you don't have a will, I'd give that priority.)

You can also throw in a few letters to loved ones and/or instructions as to your preferences when you die.
no will yet, we should probably look at that, everything would go to my wife anyway at the moment (we are in early 40s with young kids) does it matter for now?

no will yet, we should probably look at that, everything would go to my wife anyway at the moment (we are in early 40s with young kids) does it matter for now?

It can cut out an awful lot of delay and form-filling for your wife to get her hands on the goodies if you have a will. If your needs are fairly straightforward (all to wife, but if she's dead too, an even split between kids with a nominated adult to look after things for them) there's several online services that can draft a simple will for small money. Your own solicitor should also be able to do this, again for a modest fee if it's simple.

Pension details and online logins
I also have thought about this.

You could list your various online accounts and write a fictitious password for each account.

Then make out a document with a list of the fictitious passwords and the actual password relating to each of these.

This list would be kept in a different location to where you store your What if I die folder. It could be given to a family member living in a different house.
It could also be stored on an encrypted memory stick or computer file.

You probably have two stage authentication for all your online accounts.
So even in the unlikely event that someone gained access to both the password document and your What if I die folder they would be unable to gain access to any accounts without also having the device you use for the two stage authentication.

If you pass away, no-one should be accessing yiour accounts.
The executor of your will needs to contact the pension provider and go thrrough the correct channels to access any funds which are due.
There is no reason for anyone to have your online login. What legitimate reason would they have to log in

My Dad had a file ready for me when he died listing all accounts and polices and it was very useful but I passed it all over to the solicitor

Along with all the insurance, bank, pension stuff mentioned above you also need a 'house book' or 'safety file' as is known in the industry.
I was heavily involved when our house was renovated and know where everything is and how it works. If you're that person in the house you need to make a safety file that can be accessed in an emergency or given to an electrical, plumber or TV guy, etc. Generally it doesn't have any sensitive information or passwords.

• It needs to have where the water comes in and where any valves are that can turn off parts in an emergency or leak.
  • Where the internet comes in, where the router is and how the WiFi is set up and works (I've multiple access points with different login for guests, etc.)
  • How the heating works and what switches do what if you've different zones with different controls. Where are these timers and how are they changed.
  • Do you've any ventilation system that new houses have (MVHR units) that have filters that need replacing every year. Where are these, what's the part number for the filter and how are they replaced.
  • Info on any other filters, pumps, etc that need checking every year or two. These could be for filtered water or boiling water taps, heating, solar panels, heat pumps, boilers, septic tank pumps, etc.
  • If you've anything automated or 'smart appliances' set up this needs to be included. Even if it's a smart plug that controls a light that sits on a stand in the hallway. Otherwise it could be thrown out in frustration rather than reset.
  • Include the details of any items that have long guarantees. eg Windows which can have 10 years guarantee or a roof covering that have 20 years guarantee.

On Gmail and some social media sites you can set a trusted person to take over if there is no activity on your account for a period like 90 days.

There are so many subscription accounts, so many passwords, even an individual forgets half of them. Online access to electricity, gas, broadband, apps, - disastrous if someone dies, the Google hub, Alexa, shopping accounts, all make life easier but usually only one person in the house remembers the Netflix or the Spotify password.

So I would write them all down somewhere safely. And what about the socials, tic tok, instagram, Facebook, people have online friends, shared photos, how to let the friends know, or download photos that are in the iCloud but nowhere else.

Having passwords allows people to let online friends know of a death.

This is a complex and extensive discussion that I will be certainly be following.
Right down to contact details of who to inform of your death.
Considering in Ireland, burial is in a matter of days, having this list and contact details will be as important as the financial stuff.

- car registration/ log file
- for household bills eg gas and electricity have a second person named. Provide copy of account numbers
- PPS numbers for self and dependants
- details of medical/GP cards/ health insurance
-location of keys should he known
- pension and insurance info
- details of loans , credit cards

This is when I was thinking about this very topic for my parents:

Anything not in joint names will go to your estate and under the Succession Act, your children will get 1/3 of your assets. Probate takes a long time as it is, it will be longer without having a will, so yes, it is important to have one.

Re passwords, I use a password manager and have all the passwords for everything stored in it. If I died prematurely, it isn't access to bank accounts they'd be looking for, it's all the other log in details that they need!!!

But passwords to bank accounts, pension accounts aren't that relevant. Once you die, access is shut down and no withdrawals are allowed. The bank/ pension company will deal with all that.

Just regarding bank account numbers, passwords, etc., I would suggest using a password manager (or possibly two, if you wish to segregate account info from the passwords). Password Managers like LastPass generally have features where you can set up emergency access for a loved one in the event of you becoming incapacitated or deceased.

LastPass Emergency Access

Along with all the insurance, bank, pension stuff mentioned above you also need a 'house book' or 'safety file' as is known in the industry.
I was heavily involved when our house was renovated and know where everything is and how it works. If you're that person in the house you need to make a safety file that can be accessed in an emergency or given to an electrical, plumber or TV guy, etc. Generally it doesn't have any sensitive information or passwords.

• It needs to have where the water comes in and where any valves are that can turn off parts in an emergency or leak.
  • Where the internet comes in, where the router is and how the WiFi is set up and works (I've multiple access points with different login for guests, etc.)
  • How the heating works and what switches do what if you've different zones with different controls. Where are these timers and how are they changed.
  • Do you've any ventilation system that new houses have (MVHR units) that have filters that need replacing every year. Where are these, what's the part number for the filter and how are they replaced.
  • Info on any other filters, pumps, etc that need checking every year or two. These could be for filtered water or boiling water taps, heating, solar panels, heat pumps, boilers, septic tank pumps, etc.
  • If you've anything automated or 'smart appliances' set up this needs to be included. Even if it's a smart plug that controls a light that sits on a stand in the hallway. Otherwise it could be thrown out in frustration rather than reset.
  • Include the details of any items that have long guarantees. eg Windows which can have 10 years guarantee or a roof covering that have 20 years guarantee.
I can't tell you how much I love this post.

My sisters husband died last year, THESE were the technical things that caused the most stress, they have a high tech house with heating / filters ventilation systems etc.

Back