If Barack Obama were to visit Ireland....

D8Lady

Oh God, I'm cringing....

I was watching a [broken link removed], listeing to Cowen's invite to Obama to see his ancestral home - they don't care about his history making, grassroots-organising-reclaiming-democracy approach or polices - all they are interested in is increased tourism. And now that this song is a virtual hit...sigh..

We still come across as a bunch of peasants. After all that has been achieved here, is this the best we can do?

The challenge: Let's say that Barack were to visit Ireland for 3 days (assuming 2 wars, tensions with Russia and a tanking economy are sorted out).

What would you suggest he see and do that would leave an impression of a modern, confident country, making its mark in the world? (No sniggering now, am serious!)

That's a fine song but they could do a bit more leppiin' around in the moving pictures to show how fit and feisty we are :D

didn't Obama say that he was looking forward to making a trip to Ireland 'to have a pint' so at least he hasn't fallen for the old drunken irish stereotype.

What would you suggest he see and do that would leave an impression of a modern, confident country, making its mark in the world?

Having been there recently I would strongly suggest the new Wexford Opera House www.wexfordoperahouse.ie this is a state of the art facility, he could also visit the Financial Services Centre in the docklands Dublin (Plenty of American fianancial houses there).

Best thing we could do for him is to set up a meeting with some economists who can give him an Economics 101 lecture explaining that protectionism and raising business taxes = less jobs.

We still come across as a bunch of peasants. After all that has been achieved here, is this the best we can do?
<snip>
What would you suggest he see and do that would leave an impression of a modern, confident country, making its mark in the world? (No sniggering now, am serious!)
Ireland isn't a 'modern, confident country' and the only mark it leaves is a parasitic one as it collects foreign corporation tax. I would hope Barack doesn't visit Ireland as it might hasten withdrawal of American firms.

What achievements BTW? - two luas lines that don't meet up? Where I live, 100 years ago we had a train line, a tram (according to an old map) and various dance halls and temperance halls. Now all we have is lots and lots of empty yellow houses. Great progress :rolleyes:

Ireland isn't a 'modern, confident country' and the only mark it leaves is a parasitic one as it collects foreign corporation tax. I would hope Barack doesn't visit Ireland as it might hasten withdrawal of American firms.

What achievements BTW? - two luas lines that don't meet up? Where I live, 100 years ago we had a train line, a tram (according to an old map) and various dance halls and temperance halls. Now all we have is lots and lots of empty yellow houses. Great progress :rolleyes:

Which begs the question, whats keeping you here?

Which begs the question, whats keeping you here?
I still have a job.
If I lost my job I would certainly be investigating opportunities in other countries.

Another throwback to 1980s Ireland: the question "if you don't like things here, why don't you bloody well emigrate" :(

Not quite the same is it, my question being more in the line of - if you describe Ireland as parasitic and that there has been no progression what positives do you attribute to the country, rather than your implication 'like it or lump it'. Do you not think that its a genuine question to ask? If you described any part of your life as parasitic or basically backward would you not want to change it.

Back