IEEE 1394 PCI Adapter card

BlueSpud

I am looking at buying a PC from Dell, and they have a "IEEE 1394 PCI Adapter card" which they say is recommended for capturing digital video from digital camcorders. Is this case just for people who have too much cash (I know it's not expensive), but do I need it? I will be buying a digital camcorder soon.

They also have an AverMedia USB TV Tuner card, which I am interested in for transferring my Hi8mm camcorder footage to DVD.

For all this malarkey, do I need additional s/w for editing the home video when I get it on to the PC, assuming I can.

Any pointers much appreciated.

IEEE 1394 is FireWire by another (official) name and worth having if you are getting into digital photography/videography in most cases. On the other hand FireWire expansion cards are cheap if you buy one later on. I got a [broken link removed] from RL Supplies about a year ago for about €25 including VAT and delivery.

Got a canon Dv camcorder for chrimbo with a "DV" output aka IEEE 1394 aka firewire.

Purchased a 3 port firewire pci adapter (inc cable) from pc world and installed myself into my dell dimension pc. Running xp so no drivers or etc reqd. Up and running in 5 mins - no probs.

be aware - a lot of HD memory reqd and is quite slow for capturing video etc. 6 mins of video = 100MB. But works well.

re software - windows movie maker comes with xp and is grand. got software with adapter but windows one is easier to use for amateurs like me.

Hi,

got my firewire adapter card from and video capture is great - frames are lost during the capture which then throws the sound/picture out of sync when burned onto a DVD - have not found out to solve this prob yet

Is your camcorder ntsc? I had the same frame loss problem but the camcorder I was using was a US one. So I converted the captured movie to PAL and thereafter there was no frame loss.

Hi,

tnks for the reply but the camcorder is PAL (bought in the UK) and I chose PAL in the Nero software

Back