Identifing emails of Irish origin

earwig30

Not quite sure what to call what I am looking for and I hope the thread title is OK however I will do my best to describe it here.
A friend recently set up a website through her IT department, the purpose being to desciminate information to Irish clients. The website has proved popular internationally which is good but she only wants to send some information to Irish clients or more specifically clients based in ireland. Is there anything out there which would do this for her, i.e. when people put in their email address they can be sorted into Irish based and non-irish based? I was wondering if the drop down list of country of origin, often used on many sites, could be used in this way? Basically she needs something simple which will do the job for her. Screening out dotie addresses is not sufficient as many Irish based clients are dotcom or dotsomething else

earwig30 said:
when people put in their email address they can be sorted into Irish based and non-irish based?
No - not in any failsafe manner.
I was wondering if the drop down list of country of origin, often used on many sites, could be used in this way?
Only if the user accurately specifies their location/origin. It may be possible to do a [broken link removed] on the IP address used to contact the site but even this may not work all of the time because (a) such geolocation databases vary in quality and (b) some Irish users may actually connect through proxy servers located outside of Ireland.

Apart from what Clubman mentions, the only other way I can think of to confirm location would be to mail something to an actual postal address.

This could be designed so that is would only have to be sent once. They could then use some information in this mailing (like a password) to confirm their location as Ireland.

However, the big disadvantages of this are :

(a) Extra cost
(b) Delay
(c) Last, but not least, it wuld put most people off proceeding.

The dropdown list is about the best you'll probably get.

GeoIP stuff would work pretty well, but it won't deal with satellite connections or AOL users etc.,