Ideas for Weekend Break in Jan

laura28

Hi everyone,

I am the big 30 in January and want to get away to celebrate/drown my sorrows!!

Planning on going from a Wed/Thur to a Sunday somwhere and looking for suggestions for places to go and stuff to do there.
I had initially wanted to go to London but am not overly enthused by the idea i dunno why! I have checked flights to NY and they are expensive at the moment but might come down. fingers crossed!
For budget i would hope to spend approx €300 per person for flights & accomodation. Just myself and the hubbie heading off!

Am looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks!!

This idea will be over 300 but not much more I think, touramerica.ie are doing very good deals for Las vegas for around these times.

How about going to the Moulin Rouge show in Paris? Fantastic break away and won't break the bank. Also a short flight.

Thanks guys, am actually in Paris next May for a trip already so that's out!
Am off to check out Vegas. More ideas appreciated - perhaps somewhere in Europe, off th beaten path or a little different. I like a mix of sight seeing, shopping, nice bars, nice food!!

Thanks

Have a look at Baden Baden in Germany. A lovely spa town. Ryanair fly direct. Search previous discussions.

I've got Lisbon on my 'to do' list, heard very favourable reports about it
Short flight and tempretures can be pleasant in January

Hi there
For my wifes 30th in Jan, we went to Rome for a long weekend and had a fantastic time.
The weather was great for sightseeing (dry, clear and bright) and there is plenty to do and see. Food was excellent and I would say the cost would be within your budget - I would highly recommend it.

I've got Lisbon on my 'to do' list, heard very favourable reports about it
Short flight and tempretures can be pleasant in January

Have been to Lisbon before in the summer so that's ticked off the list - thanks for the suggestion!

Am liking the sound of Rome, have never been to Italy actually and it's a place i am keen to explore. Where did you stay there? How many days would you reccomend? Thanks!

Rome/ Budapest / Krakow / Barcelona.

personally I love Eastern Europe because its lovely and cheap, but if you want sunshine you'd be better in Southern Europe.

Rome/ Budapest / Krakow / Barcelona.

personally I love Eastern Europe because its lovely and cheap, but if you want sunshine you'd be better in Southern Europe.

Have been to Barcelon, but might be worth a return trip! I have never been to Eastern Europe and am a bit afraid of it being freezing, am more into dry, bright with a bit of sunshine!

Laura 28
I can’t remember where exactly we stayed as it was a few years ago, but it was near Piazza Narvon - which is central enough. Most of the attractions in Rome are within walking distance.

We got a Ryaniar flight to Ciampino, which was very reasonable and shared a taxi to the city with another couple.

We stayed for 4 nights and got to see the Coliseum, St Peters Square & the Basilica (fantastic views of the city from the top), The Pantheon, The Spanish Steps - note to mention all the Piazzas and fountains etc... You’ll love it if you are a Dan Brown / Angels & Demons fan

You do need to plan your trip as we planned to see the Vatican on our last day (Sunday) - but it closed for half day on Sundays so we didn’t get to see it - still - a good excuse to go back in a couple of years
Enjoy!

I would suggest Heidelberg in Germany , me and my wife went in January its really pretty and ideal for a weekend. Its also quite cheap compared to Dublin, flew with ryanair to Frankfurt, takes about an 1.5 hours from Frankfurt airport on a coach. Recommend it highly.

Thanks again people, loving the suggestions, going to go home and look up the places mentioned and the costs involved. All ideas greatly appreciated!