Ideas for a special weekend required

I second Carcassonne. Ryanair flies there. The walled city is absolutely beautiful! If you want it to be special check out the 'Hotel de la Cite', Place Auguste-Pierre Pont. It is situated by the ramparts of the old city. I know it is expensive but worth the money. Check reviews out on . Good luck. Patrick

i took my husband to waterford castle for a surprise for his birthday....
beautiful hotel on a tiny island.... away from everything.....
wonderful food too...
big open fires and comfy couches....
a little piece of heaven away from it all.........

Lisdoonvarna in September. Just down the road. One of the best holidays I ever had - and Mrs Oldtimer came along. Dance all night - sleep by day.

Try Madrid out, its a great city, great food, great people

If you're staying in Ireland check out Wineport Lodge. Book a lakeshore suite, soak in the rooftop hot tub with a bottle of Bollinger and have dinner in their fab restaurant overlooking the lake. I was there earlier this year and am booked to go back agin next week.

www.wineport.ie

If you're looking to go abroad I'd highly recommend Krakow. Beautiful city with plenty og great bars and restaurants. Very, very cheap.

Venice is a lovely city but I certainly wouldn't go this time of year. Way too busy.

In my opinion Venice in the summer is smelly, can be much too hot and unbearably full of tourists. For a romantic weekend I would rule it out- Venice is beautiful though in winter in the snow when it is quieter and the canals are not smelly and you don't have to push your way through hoards of travellers to see anything.

I would second or third or fourth ( count the posts) Ireland for a romantic break. I've had some great weekends in Clare, Dingle, Donegal and Antrim to name but a few. If you stay in a nice hotel and book a good restaurant for at least one night it can be a great break. Pity you can't guarantee the weather though.