IDE Data onto Sata drive

pennypincher

I recently purchased a new dell machine and went to transfer my data from my IDE drive but can't find a port for my IDE cable.All the connections are Sata I was hoping to clone my old drive onto my new one and then re-install the drivers on the new PC....so effectively I would have a faster machine than my old one but no differences in software etc...Any ideas out there

Not sure if your cloning idea will work.
If you want to get the data off the old drive, I believe you can turn it into an external USB drive with a suitable enclosure, e.g. from [broken link removed]. Haven't tried this myself.

You can using this. It will involve removing your new HD and placing it in the external HD, then clone the old HD onto external. And simply replace new HD into new machine.
p.s. Make sure then new HD is completely formatted before cloning.

It's not looking so good,the E520 I have doesn't have any IDE cables and definatley no power connector...and my old PC has no sata connector drives...not looking good....!

Perhaps I am missing something. But if you remove your new HD and place it into the external sata mount thus recreating an external drive. This external drive connects to your old machine via USB so no power cable is required. You can then clone old HD (without removing it) onto external HD. Then remove sata HD from external and replace back into your new machine.

Hi Amygdala,just so I understand you're saying there's an external mount on my E520(Can't find it)....wherabouts is it... I can see other sata connectors nothing with external wrote on it...

Have you checked out the link I provided above. If not here it is again. Click here. This is a set that comes with clone software, external mount/housing, USB cable and separte power cable.

Thanks for your help it looks like I'll have to take it to some one who has this equipment already was hoping there would be a DIY fix or workaround.