ID for ferry to UK

bond-007

Is if nessasary for the passenger in a car to have ID for a ferry to holyhead? I am taking my brother to a match in Liverpool and he has neither a driving licence or a passport.

Last time I took the ferry a few months ago I don't recall being asked for anything other than the ticket printout at either Dublin or Holyhead in either direction.

you would be very unlucky to be stopped if you are in a car - I did the trip last week in a car and based on that visit we would only have been pulled over exiting the port at holyhead but they usually only stop vans or cars loaded up with "stuff". If I was in the same situation I would take a bank statement to show I lived in Ireland as ID is required to open an account. Saying that, in 12 years of travelling on that ferry I have never been asked for ID only sometimes a random "what nationality are you?"

I have only ever been stopped on the way back in to Ireland....I was asked what nationality I was...no documentation requested...the Irish accent sufficed...

The last time I took the ferry over, everyone was stopped and asked for ID, so it does happen occasionally...

I had a similar situation recently - but after phoning Irish Ferries they just said have some sort of ID with you and proof of address (utility bill) but passport is not required.

Out of 6 journeys across I have been asked for ID just once by customs people.

Back