Iceland

cool2

Getting married next year and we'd like to go somewhere different for the honeymoon. We're thinking of Iceland! The scenery looks pretty cool and its not too cold in August. Has anybody been there? Are we mad! What's the best way of getting there and are there any irish travel agents going there.

A relative of mine just came back from their...don't know how he got there etc....said that it was great. He went there for the spa baths for health reasons & thought they were great...very relaxing few days there if anything at all.

Also mentioned thought that foeed & drink were outrageously expensive...despite that would definitely go back.

Not all the info you were looking for I know....but its a start.

ninsaga

I don't think there's any direct flight out of Ireland to Iceland.
There is a budget airline called IcelandExpess which flies out of Stansted.
http://www.icelandexpress.com/

Iceland Air are the more expensive option but they go out of Machester and Glasgow as well as one of the London airports so they may be a bit more convenient.
http://www.icelandair.co.uk/

Haven't actually been there yet, but am thinking of going during the Summer so have been doing a bit of research.....

Hi there,

thats an adventurous destination for your honeymoon!

I went there in November and really enjoyed it - amazing scenery - I havn't been any where else where in one day I saw geysers, climed volcanos, crossed frozen waterfalls and saw the aurora borealis.

Reijkavich is very small (the airport is about 5 mins from the centre of the city!), and I found it very expensive! E.g. a pizza for lunch in a very normal restuarant was 20E, a bottle of house wine 30-40E, glass of wine 10E.
It could be worth doing a jeep trip all around the island, and maybe going ice-diving if that's your thing.

Its a nice destination, but I cant imagine spending more than a week/10 days there - you could maybe combine it with a trip to Greenland where the snow safaris look amazing fun.

Thanks for the replies.
The one thing that I'm a bit worried about is the cost of eating out, drinking ect. over there. I guess we'll have to do some more research!

[broken link removed]

This co. do package week-ends with direct flights from Dublin in October every year. Couldn't find any details on their site at the moment but if you contact them they could confirm if they're doing it again this year.