Ice Cream Vendor - hygiene not essential !

MrEarl

Hello,

Seeing as this is the "Letting Off Steam" section of the website, I hope I'm free to post this ....

I was recently on the Clontarf Road (near the wooden bridge for the beach) and decided I'd like to get an ice cream from a vendor selling from a small, self contained trailer unit parked outside some restaurants etc opposite the wooden bridge.

When I got to the top of the queue, the vendor (a middle aged man) asked me to hold on for a moment ... leaned out the door to the rear of his trailer unit to dump rubish into a bin and then returned to serve me while wiping his face with the same bare hands which had just put out the rubbish, no gloves anywhere insight and clearly he had no intention of using any, while getting me my whipped ice cream.

Suffice to say, I told him I didn't want to purchase and quickly moved on ...

I simply cannot believe the man was operating with no interest in hygiene and furthermore, that people appeared happy enough to buy from him (including somone who was right behind me in the queue and who I watched actually get a cone from those same bare hands ...)

Disgraceful or what ?

I hear what you are saying but in the grand scheme of things its hardly going to kill you.

The issue is you happened to see this individual's disregard for hygieve.

5 minutes earlier or 5 minutes later, you would have eaten the ice-cream and have been happy.

The issue is you happened to see this individual's disregard for hygieve.

5 minutes earlier or 5 minutes later, you would have eaten the ice-cream and have been happy.

The issue for me would be the use of bare hands- the guy could have been on the toilet five minutes ago ! . The proper way to serve the cone is to pick up the cone with a serviette, fill it and then use a thongs to insert the flake and then hand it to the customer. Wearing gloves is fine too if you're only serving cones and not handling money etc. with them on. I won't settle for less.

e coli is very easily passed on through bad hygiene around the prep, storage and dispensing of the whipped cream into the cone. I have never suffered from the old runny bummy from this, but always buy ice cream cones from a clean source.

That guy in the van probably urinates and doesn't wash his hands either!!!!!!!!!!!!!