Iarnrod Eireann fine

Setanta12

I catch the train from Ashtown to Lansdowne with a stop at Connolly along the way. Today I was running late and couldn’t get a ticket at Ashtown before boarding so when I arrived at Connolly, I went to buy a ticket for the journey from Ashtown to Lansdowne.

The guy fined me €50 for the trip from Ashtown to Connolly citing that I shouldn’t have travelled without a ticket. He then charged me for a ticket from Connolly to Lansdowne! Total trip costing me €51.65 – normally something like €2/4 return !

To add insult to injury, the ticket didn’t work in Lansdowne and I had to dart through when someone else used the turnstile!

To add further insult to injury, I always knew I could have done this but said to myself better do the right thing in Connolly and get a ticket !

This happened me before in October/November (I think), but there was always a facility whereby you could buy a ticket at Connolly for the journey you just had – and you see this all the time on Match Day (soccer, Gaelic and rugby)

Am i caught out here or do i ahve a legitimate greivance ?

Same happened a friend of mine....they got on at Castleknock & there was nobody in the booth & the machine wasn't working. She went straight over to the guy when she got to town & offered to pay (along with about 7 ro 8 off the train) and he issued them all with €50 fines. Sounds mad!!

no you don't have a case, you travelled without a ticket - you could have waited for the next train but you chose to board without a ticket. irish rail are cracking down on this type of travel now, previously they let it go and let you pay at destination.
however in the case of the second person she should not have been fined, if the ticket booth is unattended and the machine is out of order you can't physically buy a ticket so a fine should not apply. she should have appealed this.

It used to be the case that you coudn't buy tickets at all at Broombridge. Is this still so?

Back