Iarnród Éireann Rip-Off: Weekend Single Ticket on Sligo Route

Fair enough. Perhaps not really relevant to the original poster who is going in the other direction though?

Now I am completely confused.

It has been argued extensively that it is ok to extend the meaning of the word rip-off from something dishonest to something honest but expensive. Why can the OP not extend it to something honest and good for customers which doesn't suit him? That is the problem with allowing the meaning of a useful word to extend. Those who are happy to describe anything expensive as a rip-off cannot say that the OP is wrong to describe something he doesn't like paying as a rip-off.

Brendan

I'd be interested to hear anyone knows the reasoning behind this or has any comments / opinions on the matter.
Why not write to Iarnrod Eireann voicing your opinion and asking them for an explanation of the rationale behind their pricing structure?

Could the OP simply had used a ticket machine? They have no problem in selling one way tickets.
I do notice that a ticket purchased in Dublin to a country destination is always dearer than a ticket purchased in the country to Dublin.

Let me dispel the confusion

If enough people start to use the word in the fashion you describe then it will take on that meaning. At the moment it is not one of the (dictionary, or common parlance) accepted meanings but that may well change. It makes no difference whatsoever whether or not this is "allowed," language is fluid.

That said, the OP is quite clearly saying that IE are over-charging for tickets, this is not a new meaning of rip-off. His meaning is quite clear to me, I don't see how any confusion could arise?

Hi All,

Thanks for the replys and apologies for any offence/confusion caused by the use of the term 'rip-off'.

The reason I used the word rip-off was that I felt that charging extra for a single ticket on different days was over-charging unreasonably, however after consideration, I can see the view of other posters.

My usage of the term rip-off was incorrect but I do think that pricing policy is still a bit strange in that it only affects users buying a one way ticket. I find it a bit unusual that it is only single journey tickets that are increased and can't really see how discouraging single ticket journeys would affect the volumes of people on the trains.

But I take the point made by other posters that there may be some logic by IE using this approach to control passenger volumes, I just can't really see how this approach works.

Thanks,
Stef

Perhaps, it might be difficult to make a convincing case for that position too!
Why? The single ticket is available at the lower price Monday-Thursday and Saturday and at the higher price presumably on Friday and Sunday. Why assume that they overcharge on the Friday (and Sunday) rather than them discounting or undercharging the rest of the time?

Why? The single ticket is available at the lower price more often than it is at the higher price.

I think you could be on to something ClubMan, this is a scandal, why are IE discounting tickets like this? Surely they need all of the revenue they can get and should not be further subsidising journeys in this fashion?