I water mark stained my Mother-in-Law's (mahogany?) table!

J

jellybaby

Hi there,

I'm badly in need of some advice. I'm in my Mum-in-Law's house at the moment and I brought in some washing from the washing machine to hang it on the clothes horse in the dining room. Well, the doorbell rang and i put these clothes down on the table, which i think is mahogany and has that polished waxy look to it. Anyway, i soon forgot what i had been doing and an hour or so later i went back and now there's a huge water mark stain on the table. The In-Laws are away at the moment but back next week! What should i do? Does anybody know anyone that can fix this, as this is the 'good' table! Any advice is hugely appreciated! Thanks!

Re: I stained my Mother-in-Law's table!

The finish on the table is most likely french polish. You can get a repair paste for french polish which removes the hazy/ milky marks left by hot drinks and water etc. Liberon do one such cream http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=6517&cookietest=1

but you should be able to get a similar product from a good hardware/ paint store. When you have removed the marks you'll need to "feather" out the "repair" and apply a good wax polish over the entire surface.

Re: I stained my Mother-in-Law's table!

You could try Silvo a silver polish wadding made by Duraglit, just take a bit of the wadding and polish the table with it. I know this definitely works with teak wood but I haven't had reason to try it on mahogany and then finish off with furniture polish.

Re: I water mark stained my Mother-in-Law's table!

Found this on www.ehow.com and there are very positive comments about its efficiency - I haven't tried it myself.

"Water stains on wood - To remove white or cloudy water stains from my dining room table, I place a cotton dish-towel flat on the table over the stain then place the clothes iron on the towel for three to five seconds. Move the iron in a circular motion. Make sure the iron is not releasing steam. You may have to repeat the process two or three times, but this method has worked when all others have failed, including toothpaste! I have removed seven year old white stains using this method, and the entire process takes no more than five minutes!"

You can read comments at

[broken link removed]

If it's a valuable antique, although some or all of the above suggestions might work, I'd be inclined to seek professional advice.

If it's a valuable antique, although some or all of the above suggestions might work, I'd be inclined to seek professional advice.

I agree, get someone who knows what they are doing.

My mum used to have an antiques business and she used these guys a lot
[broken link removed]

Back