I want to rent a jointly owned house; my two brothers want to sell.

Dots1982

I want feedback on a selling strategy I thought of that might be a bad idea but I’ll put it out anyway.

I and my two brothers have inherited a house from my mother. My two brothers want to sell the house, I want to rent it.

A strategy I suggested Was to accept a rental offer we have from a communications company who would put their contracters in the house and in the meantime We tell estate agents in the area that the house is open to offers so when buyers are in their offices looking at what’s on offer And maybe not liking what’s on sale then estate agents can tip them off to our property.

the problems are since the house isn’t for sale and relies on “world of mouth” from co-operative estate agents then I don’t know how co-operative estate agents would be In this situation.

the other problem is obvious. Because there are tenants prospective buyers would put be allowed to access the property for a viewing.

As a minor aside the house was built in 1979 and hence whoever buys it will be doing major renovations.

This makes no sense at all.

Make a decision to sell the house or to rent it. One or the other.

It might not be in great condition now, but it will be in far worse condition after being lived in for a few years by a series of contractors.

It's empty now and probably easy to sell. When you have tenants it will be difficult. And the government is continuously making it more difficult for landlords to deal with tenants. When you eventually want to sell it, it might be that you must leave the tenants in place.

Brendan

We tell estate agents in the area that the house is open to offers so when buyers are in their offices looking at what’s on offer And maybe not liking what’s on sale then estate agents can tip them off to our property.

No estate agent will tell people about your property unless you enter into a contract with them, in the vast majority of cases they insist on exclusive rights, and their fees will still be payable if you sell the house via other means.

As a minor aside the house was built in 1979 and hence whoever buys it will be doing major renovations.

You may want to consider whether investment would be required to bring the house up to standards required for rental property. Your tenants would also have to agree to facilitate viewings, you'd be off to a bad start if you were asking them to do so just after moving in. I can't see a company agreeing to such a disruption.