I want a green lawn

DeclanP

Put down bag loads of weed, feed and mosskiller on lawns in the spring. I got the green lawn I was looking for but had to cut it nearly three times a week. The effects seem to have worn off and now I am back to a lawn that is returning to daisies and other weeds and doesn't have that green appearance after it is cut. Any thoughts? Maybe some nitrogen? But that will sent the grass spiralling again!

Aren't there quite a few existing threads about lawn care?

Yeah, I know but I was wondering why the weeds returned relatively soon after I applied the weed, feed, mosskiller stuff and was there something that I was doing wrong. Thought I applied a good dose.

There is a product that you can get in the likes of B&Q which you dilute with water and pour from a watering can. This makes your grass greener. I have used it in the past and your post has reminded me to buy more of it. I don't recall the name but I will post here again if I get a chance to buy it over the weekend.

Other advice is that you should water the grass during dry spells (obviously not this month). Last month, I watered my grass 4 or 5 times a week for 15 minutes at a time.

Also, don't cut the grass too short. It's better to cut it long more often.

The best advice of all is to rake the lawn thoroughly in late October/early November and again in March. This removes all of the twigs and leaves whilst also irrigating the lawn.

Hillsalt, thanks for response. If you come across the product, let us know. I don't normally cut the grass short because, by doing so, this entices the moss to gain a grip and it is very difficult to get rid of. Maybe it is the change in climate but there are a lot of strange looking weeds coming up at this time of year. The raking of a fairly large lawn in October or November sounds like a fair bit of hard work. Any chance of a hand, Hillsalt?!

Depends on what you mean by "green". If its the colour green then why not lay some plastic astroturf? If you meant green as in environmentally friendly then forget all the daft advice you got. If you spray weedkillers and fertilise your lawn you remove any chance you have of enjoying wildlife in your garden. By that I mean gold finches feeding on seeds on your lawn and other song birds feeding there and generally adding to the pleasure of sitting out on a summer evening listening to the birds and the bees. The bees of course need the daisies, dandelions and clover that a natural lawn would have. With those flowers you will even attract butterflies. The great thing about having a mini wildflower meadow instead of a conventional lawn is that you save money on sprays etc, you hardly ever have to mow the damn thing and you are doing your bit for the environment.

You can get a bucket of poultry manure pelletts. You can apply ot to shrubs or scatter some on the lawn. Works really well. A strong smell from it when applying it but after that its fine.

Here ya go...... [broken link removed]

Yeah, got that stuff and it does work. Used it in a sprayer and it certainly got rid of the daisies and some strange weed which seemed to have overtaken the grass. I appreciate where woodsman is coming from but I like birds of a different variety!!! The poultry pellets, I hear, are good too.

The bees of course need the daisies, dandelions and clover that a natural lawn would have. With those flowers you will even attract butterflies.
Is it just me or has anybody noticed an abundance of clover AND bees visiting the flowers this year compared to last? And I've noticed more ladybirds this year than in recent years.

In relation to weeding I find that just digging them out or pouring table salt on them is the best (albeit slightly work intensive) approach.

Yes, clover and another broad leafed weed which I cannot determine. Not even the weed and feed could dispense with it. The liquid feed has had a good effect but there is definitely merit in a previous post recommending not to cut the lawns bare.

Not by any chance? Was plagued by that but persistent manual weeding of it over the years seems to have dealt with it (mostly).