I travel to Spain at lot and would like to buy a car there rather than renting

Reaction

I travel a lot to Spain; instead of renting a car, I hope to purchase a small Spanish car.

What paper work do I need from the seller.

There is a 21 day transfer time for paperwork to go through, but in the mean time if we agree on the purchase of the purchase of the car, does he hand over the car there and then?

Have exactly the same issue and have researched the area thoroughly, coming at it from the slightly different angle that my RHD Irish car is parked in Spain, having gone out of tax, NCT etc., and would need to be imported.

Fully agree that if you're there a lot, it would be a great idea to keep a car there.

You need at least a permanent address, so if you have a house or apartment or a relative or friend who lives there willing to be the registered owner, then you can register insure the car either directly or through them.

do a search 'buying a car in Spain' and several useful links come up.

Depends how much money you want to spend, but cars over there last longer and are more expensive. Cars from the early 90s are still running round in much larger numbers than here and German cars in particular have a certain caché (and secondhand pricetag) as a result. Diesels also command a premium.