i-pod

Hi,

Thats because Apple is a pile of ****!! I got Ipod shuffle for xmas(did not buy it myself and will never touch Apple again) and the cd that came with it, did not have the necessary software to format the player and get it up and running. Was really pissed about that!! as it took a good while to download and get it working. I had broadband but if it was dial up I would be double pissed!! My brother has a Cowan IAudio 20gb with 35 hours playing time and I must say it is a serious mp3 player, no software required just drag and drop!! It was expensive 20 gb 350 euro but well worth it!! I just guess Apple are better at marketing!!

I know loads of people who got iPods this Xmas (many of them with little or no technical knowhow) and had no problems getting up and running. Maybe you were just unfortunate?

If the only copy of a song you have resides on your ipod and your ipod gets busted/nicked then you have lost that song.
Of course that is only if you are adding the music by itunes and not as data on the ipod as an external hard drive.
Of course by using a program other than a third parties you can extract music form your ipod back to your computer, but this is not available via apple software, hence the sticker on the screen when you opened the box first. "You Should Not Steal Music"

Also, the apple CD that comes with the ipod, does have the correct software for formating the ipod. Once you install the disk fully, there will be folders in your program list for ipod updater + itunes, and Quick time.
But the ipod updater could be an old version, but should still have worked.

I dont think so, I know of three people who had the same hassle!! and work as developers in IT. I think the idea of having software to connect to your mp3 player is **** especially with usb connections. You should plug in your player through your usb, see your removable drive location in explorer and drop your mp3 songs in your music player. That's it, no **** and it is extremely easy!! No downloading software - iTunes, Ipod update, reformating your player and restarting your pc 4 times, if you use the cd that came with the player to install the software.

I just feel people are fooled into the idea that apple ipod is the only player!! Maybe I was spoiled with Cowan IAudio and how easy it was and when I came on the idea of having to use software to connect and interface with my player, it just pissed me off!! Cowan rocks, Apple sucks in my world!!

mayoman - could you please observe the and desist from posting profanities in every post? Thanks.

mayoman said:
I dont think so, I know of three people who had the same hassle!! and work as developers in IT.
I think the idea of having software to connect to your mp3 player is **** especially with usb connections. You should plug in your player through your usb, see your removable drive location in explorer and drop your mp3 songs in your music player.

You've hit the nail on the head there, Profanoman, sorry, Mayoman. :)

The iPod is not targeted at IT Developers but at people in the street. The iTunes jukebox interface is very popular and very easy to use. It also just happens to link in well with the iTunes Music Store. :)

While you can just use your iPod as a flash drive, it is not really intended for you to copy your songs on in a drag-and-drop fashion, but rather to manage with iTunes.

I personally don't find this a problem - remember, even if you import your existing music library into iTunes, you can configure it to not actually move the physical files, just create an index. (This works if the files are in MP3 - they may need conversion if in WMA or another format.)

Finally, I have had no problems with the software supplied, on various models of iPod. The only thing is that as iPod and software updates get released frequently, you may have to download an updated iPod Updater. Usually, you can do this at the end, after you have installed the supplied software version first.

thanks guys.I was just curious.My i-pod works no problem and I am a big time amateur.I am a bit annoyed though that I can't transfer any wma or others and have to stick to i-tunes.But what the hell-t'is a great present.Any problems I might have you guys will certainly hear about them!

I do not know anyone with an i-pod that has had all these troubles - even though some of them are totally clueless with most technology. Have to say I find it simple to use also.

Dollyclare - copy your wma files into i-tunes and i-tunes will automatically convert them so that you can play them on i-pod.

One of the problems with the iPod/iTunes is that it is so easy to use that some power users get a bit confused! Drag and drop updating? Forget that - you just plug in the iPod and it updates automatically (unless you don't want it to and turn this feature off).

Back