I-pod nano- which type

Snail

I am a frequent poster here but had to register under a different name so Mr.Snail doesn't see this!

I want to get him an i-pod nano for christmas. Unfortunately I am technologically challenged. Which type is best- do you need a lot of gig ( is that right?), and do they all have wifi?

When replying please use simple terminology as I really, really am not even sure what an i-pod nano is.

Edited- sorry, sorry, no I don't want an ipod nano, it's an ipod touch. You can see I haven't a clue, and can't edit the title.

There only is one type of iPod Touch, the differences are all about how many songs it will hold.

So yes they all have wifi, etc and are easy to set up.

The biggest question then is how much music he'll want on there.

If you can, get a sneaky look at his iTunes library (just open it up). Click on the "music" option under library (top left if iTunes menu).

Once that's up, have a look at the very bottom and you'll see it gives you a summary of the entire library in terms of how many songs, hours, days etc of songs he has. In there should also be the number of gbs of songs he has.

The most expensive model is the 64gb, which is pretty big and would suit most. However if the Mr is a bit of a music nerd and has a supersize library bigger than this, he won't be able to fit the whole library on there.

As iPods are now more than just MP3 players, it's all about who you're buying it for.

If he's after more than just music and the whole portable video, internet, email, applications and games techie stuff, then the iTouch is great fun. The compromise is that you have to be selective about the music you load on because you can't fit as much on.

If he really isn't that fussed about loads of music choices, happy to create his own playlists and is more interested in the other side of the iTouch, then don't worry about gig size (especially as price increase considerably with increase in gb size).

If he is a music nerd and likes carrying around his whole collection and isn't that fussed about the internet and toys, the maybe the iPod classic is more for him.

That is brilliant, thank you very much.

He is into his music ( used to be a dj) but is also very much into the other applications- he would def use it for internet, email, video etc.

The price variation is huge- between 8 gb to 64gb. Just wondering if I should really go for 32 or 64 or if 8 is enough.

Does the gb capacity also relate to games/video? If so then I really need to go for a bigger size, I'd imagine?

Maybe go for the 32 if the money can stretch. It's still a fair size in terms of songs and it's not that much hassle.

The gig size will dictate what other applications he may want on there or whether photos, video etc. But again, it's easy enough to manage and take stuff off etc.

Another question now that I have bought the ipod touch 32g ( in the black friday sale)- I want to give it at xmas and as we will be on holidays I would like to have some games/music to load to it for him. I don't really want to open it before hand as it is coming in the Apple gift package- is there somewhere one can buy games for this thing or music? Or are you supposed to use the wifi on the ipod itself to download them from the internet?

For eg I know he'd like some kind of racing car game- is it possible to buy this and download it to a USB key before hand? I was thinking of buying a few games/some music- help please?

That's a bit more complicated. You could purchase them via iTunes and leave them on in the iTunes library before syncing the iPod, but then they'd be there for all to see.

It's actually not to bad to open it up and set it up before hand. The packaging isn't all that complex and so it fits back into the box like new. It's nice to do that so they can have a mess with it immediately.

On a side note for future reference. Even though it kind of defeats the purpose, try to download apps and games via iTunes on the computer and then sync rather than direct on the iPod. It just makes it easier and less messy.