I Phone quick question.....

Shopaholic

I'm just wondering, is it possible to buy the I Phone online, I'm not having much luck looking online this morning, I can see it on the apple site but just wondering if you could purchase online anywhere......

When I was looking at this, you could only buy it in o2 stores or car phone warehouse for o2 (or go down the import or ebay route)

I ended up scrapping the idea because I didn't like o2's terms, conditions and cost. Instead I got an itouch (& fon), and keep a cheap, normal phone.

Shopaolic, your best bet if you want to go "pay as you go" is to get an unlocked iphone (jailbroken) however this voids the warranty I think. You can purchase an iPhone from Italy that is "legally" (non void warranty) from ebay too which is even better.

There is a group of current listings here: [broken link removed] (Which seem to be ebay listings too).

Thanks for the replies, yeah thought that it was O2 alright, likewise, think they're very expensive.........will discuss it at home.......

Iphones are available online from O2 - not just in the stores.

I've been thinking the same. You can buy a prepaid phone and put it on another better tariff and add data add on to it. You'll pay more €300 or so over the term of the contract, but you'll have a better tariff (depending on what you choose) and not tied to an 18 month contract. Buying an iTouch is another option but you lose have everything, PDA/MP3/Phone on one device, and you lose out on the mobile internet access.

Mobile phones have got very expensive lately, and the tariffs over poor value for money.

Buying an iTouch is another option but you lose have everything, PDA/MP3/Phone on one device, and you lose out on the mobile internet access.
Where there's wifi you can get access.
I've just joined up to Fon (http://www.fon.com/en/) and am going to use it on holiday because the hotel seems to have it. I'm also going to try out truphone, which is like skype for the iphone, but on an itouch

You can buy the 3G iphone on pre pay from O2 but at a rip off price (€449-€549)
As of yet there is still no unlock option for the latest 3G iPhones

quote=leghorn;767002]Where there's wifi you can get access.
I've just joined up to Fon (http://www.fon.com/en/) and am going to use it on holiday because the hotel seems to have it. I'm also going to try out truphone, which is like skype for the iphone, but on an itouch[/quote]

That might be ok for the occasional call, but WiFi is only in limited locations so its not going to replace a mobile. But its handy to know.

You can buy the 3G iphone on pre pay from O2 but at a rip off price (€449-€549)
As of yet there is still no unlock option for the latest 3G iPhones

AFAIK, you can use a O2 prepaid iPhone with another O2 sim without unlocking it. Yes its expensive. But then other high end phones are 300~500 on prepay aswell. So its not much more than them.

It is when its €150 on contract. If you looking for it for wi-fi there are cheeper options pluse the iTouch

Your not comparing like with like. Prepay price vs bill pay price of phone. The handset maybe €169 on billpay but you're losing out on the poor iPhone tariffs.

Say you pay the 45 over 18 months, for 175 mins 100 texts and 1GB of data. No carry over minutes, texts or data. Consider though...

Unlimited O2 calls/text €20pm + 1GB of data 15pm Total per month 35, a saving of 10 over the cheapest iPhone tariff. Over 18mths thats 180 of a saving. Prepay iphone 300 extra. So for €120 extra over the 18 months, you can have unlimited 02 calls/texts for 18 months. You won't be locked into a 18 month contract either. So if it doesn't work out you could just sell the phone, and drop the 1GB per month. You could pay 7.50 for 250mb per month either.

Amybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

On the good side the Dev Team will be releasing an unlock on December 31st