i owe tax and vat,can i start up again?

B

biglad

I was a sole trader 18 years ago, contracting for a company that left me high and dry, and i could say very naive/stupid in the ways of running a business,my marriage broke down,And i lost everything,i threw myself at the mercy of the taxman who was very understanding,And must have put a hold on it.I have been a paye worker since then up to jan of this year,and have been unemployed and on the dole since then,Im 48,and finding it impossible to find a job,But a chance has come up for me to be an agent for a food company,but i have to deal with my own tax affairs.I guess my question is, will the taxman/vatman allow me start up again or will they come after me again and hammer me ???. I am a lot older and wiser now and have done different courses through fas, but i am very worried about this situation with the taxman/vatman as i need to register with them both.I am determined to do it right this time.
I know that this problem is all of my own doing and im not making excuses. Should i talk to an accountant? or what other options do i have ?.
some advice would be greatly appreicated.

Back