I need a new Netopia part

Brendan Burgess

Founder
The bit which sticks into the back of my pc is often not recognized by my pc and I get an error message along the lines "USB equipment not recognized".

I plug it out and back in a few times and it usually works, but I suspect that it will pack it in for good one of these days.

Where would I get one of these and what is it called. There is a number on the back SWL - 2300U . I don't know if this is the part number or the number for the whole Netopia unit.

Brendan

Could it be a corrupt driver installation/file or do you know for sure it's the hardware?

You might be better off using the ethernet port instead, no USB drivers to go wonky and generally considered more reliable. If your PC doesn't have an ethernet interface you can pick one up for €10 or so.

I have never had cause to look for an ethernet port. My PC is about 4 years old. I don't think I have one. What does it look like?

If I have one or get the interface, what do I do with it?

brendan

I have never had cause to look for an ethernet port. My PC is about 4 years old. I don't think I have one. What does it look like?

If I have one or get the interface, what do I do with it?

brendan

Seeing as you mention PC, I'm assuming it's a desktop.

Look on the back where all the connections (keyboard, mouse, USB) are. See if there's a port with this symbol beside it:

[broken link removed]

You may have an ethernet port already, but it may be disabled in the BIOS - post the name / model number of the PC and I can give you more info on how to check if it's disabled, and how to enable it.

If you don't have an ethernet port, you can buy a plug-in card which will add an ethernet port to your PC:

[broken link removed]

The bit which sticks into the back of my pc is often not recognized by my pc and I get an error message along the lines "USB equipment not recognized".

As well as a problem with the Netopia, or a Windows software problem, it could also be a problem with the USB port itself. Do other devices work reliably on the port you use with the Netopia? Have you tried the Netopia on a different USB port? What do you do recover when the problem occurs, or does it fix itself? Have you tried the Netopia on a different PC or laptop to check if the same problem occurs?

If it is the Netopia, I'd forget about spare parts unless it's just a new cable. It will be simpler and possibly even cheaper to buy a replacement.

An ethernet port looks like a telephone socket, only slightly wider. If you do get a replacement for the Netopia, I would go for an ethernet connection as advised.

As well as a problem with the Netopia, or a Windows software problem, it could also be a problem with the USB port itself. Do other devices work reliably on the port you use with the Netopia? Have you tried the Netopia on a different USB port? What do you do recover when the problem occurs, or does it fix itself? Have you tried the Netopia on a different PC or laptop to check if the same problem occurs?

From my personal experience, networking kit (DSL / cable / 3G modems) tends to be troublesome over USB. If it was my setup, I'd try and get it working over ethernet rather than USB.

Looks like .
Don't confuse it with a modem/telephone port which looks similar but is smaller. What make and model of PC is it? If it's 4 years old I'd be pretty sure that it probably has ethernet included as standard. You can also check in Device Manager to see (right click on My Computer in the Start menu or desktop choose Manage -> Device Manager -> Network Adaptors) and see what's listed and post the details if necessary. If you see something like 10/100 ethernet then you have an ethernet card.

Would you have been pluggin the USB ethernet adaptor in and out a lot? If so then the problem may be a loose connection or dry solder joint that is making an unreliable connection.

I do have an ethernet port.

In the Device Manager, I have
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

It has a red x through the icon to its right hand side.

It is a Dell Dimension 2350

Brendan

I do have an ethernet port.

In the Device Manager, I have
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

It is a Dell Dimension 2350

Brendan

If you get a suitable ethernet cable (couple of € in any computer shop - you probably got one with your netopia modem too) plug it into the modem and you should be good to go. One last thing, I assume the Netopia is not a USB only modem? (i.e. it has an identical socket to the one on your PC?)

I am beginning to understand this. I got a yellow cable with the modem when I bought it. But it would mean moving the pc closer to the modem which I don't want to do.

So am I back to square 1? Where can I buy the Netopia part?

Brendan

What about moving the Netopia router closer to the PC? You can use a gang socket extention to power the router, and/or a longer telephone cable or cable extention.
I agree with previous posters that the ethernet connection is better for you than using the USB. You don't really need to buy a New Netopia USB cable, (blue cable) if that is the way you decide to go (but I do advise against it). There are loads of them all over the place as the router comes supplied with them and most people use the ethernet connection (the yellow cable).

The red X means it's disabled. Right-click on it and you'll get a menu to enable it.

I got a yellow cable with the modem when I bought it. But it would mean moving the pc closer to the modem which I don't want to do.

You can buy longer ethernet cables in any computer hardware shop. Argos even do them, IIRC.

The whole point of having a wireless modem is to have no wires around the house? I want to leave the modem where it is where the phone line comes in and I want to leave the PC where it is as well.

So how do I fix my "Usb device not recognized problem" which recurred this morning? I didn't try to fix it as it's a frustrating way to start the day.

To answer previous questions, I have tried different USB ports and I have the same problem, so I reckon it's the part and not the pc.

I have not plugged the part in and out a lot, except recently when it was not recognized. Plugging it out and plugging it back in, seemed to fix it temporarily.

Can I buy that Netopia part? Anyone know what it is called?

Brendan

The whole point of having a wireless modem is to have no wires around the house? I want to leave the modem where it is where the phone line comes in and I want to leave the PC where it is as well.

Brendan, is there a USB cable between your PC and the DSL router? Or is this "Netopia part" (describe please?) a wireless USB card? In which case any standard wireless card will do -- you can even get them in Aldi!

Update: searching on the part number you provided at the outset confirms it is a wireless USB card.

Brendan,

Unfortunately there is a tendancy to call everything a USB stick or key or equivalent, regardless of what function it performs.

In your case you have a USB wireless network card (or wireless NIC). Because wireless networks have developed standards you should not be tied to buying a replacement Netopia part - any 801.11b/g USB card should do the job for you. 802.11b/g refers to the standard in use for this technology. Assuming that your modem (the other end of the wireless link) is 802.11b/g compliant then you can use any suitable replacement.

While it is possible that the part has failed, it is reasonably unlikely and it would be the first time I had come across a failed one. It is more likely to be a driver or config problem which can be addressed by re-installing the relevant software. A quick check would involve taking this device and putting it on another laptop or desktop and seeing if it is recognised correctly.

I can have a look for you if you want . . .

z

As mugsgame pointed out, I think Aldi are doing a special on USB wireless cards at the momemt - something like €30. Alternatively PCWorld and equivalents will sell you one for €60-90.

z

I just checked the Aldi site and I can't see the offer there at the moment - does anyone know if the offer is current or whether it was last week ?

z

I think it was last week. They may have some left. [broken link removed] are selling USB 802.11 network adaptors for €25 and PCI 802.11 cards for €25. Either would do.

Back