I movies 09 - how to take still images

ney001

Long time user of imovies and although I have the imovies 09 i have resisted the move thus far. I have been experimenting with it recently as I cannot put off the transfer for much longer and find it extremely fussy when it comes to taking still images. I would usually have about 20 mins of footage and would take approx 20 still images - is there any easy way to do this with imovies 09?. So far I have been exporting to quicktime then taking screen shots but quality is poor and as it is a screen shot it take a picture of the quicktime toolbar as well. Today I actually had to drag the quicktime movie back into old imovies in order to get my still images - taking me hours to get through this - I would have done 3-4 videos on old imovies system by now.

Anyone any user friendly ideas for taking stills

IIRC it's a similar process, haven't checked it out though. It depends how you were doing it in the older version. For me here's what I do:

Place the playhead at the part of the clip I want to create a still from. Right-click (or control-click) at that point on the clip. In imovie 7, the option came up to add a still frame, but in imovie 9 I think it's called "Add Freeze Frame"?

It then adds the still. You can then also right-click the still and get it revealed in Finder so you have the still to add in jpeg to iPhoto etc.

Dunno if that's how you've tried, I haven't used iMovie in a good while.

Also note, with quicktime, you can just pause the movie, then click and drag the still image to your desktop. That way you get the image and don't have to do a screenshot.

Back