I hate hypocrisy

RMCF

Before I start ranting, can I say that I am a fan of U2's music and have enjoyed seeing them live a couple of times, but how can Bono seriously come on the news today and start preaching to us about climate change and having to take it seriously.

Did he ever take a good look at his stage sets? They would use more power than a small town!!

Does this mean that from now on they are going to play acoustic shows?

Add this to his preaching about world poverty, while he sits with a couple of hundred million in the bank.

Before I start ranting, can I say that I am a fan of U2's music and have enjoyed seeing them live a couple of times, but how can Bono seriously come on the news today and start preaching to us about climate change and having to take it seriously.

Did he ever take a good look at his stage sets? They would use more power than a small town!!

Does this mean that from now on they are going to play acoustic shows?

Add this to his preaching about world poverty, while he sits with a couple of hundred million in the bank.

Is this the same Bono who moved U2's business companies to the Netherlands to be able to pay a lower rate of tax?

Is this the same Bono who moved U2's business companies to the Netherlands to be able to pay a lower rate of tax?

It's the same U2 that still invest lots of money in this country.
I find Bono sanctimonious and annoying but he could have the same money and do nothing. U2 have a long track record as activists, long before it was trendy… and they are still at it, long after it was trendy.

BTW our financial services sector is built on companies moving here to avoid paying tax in the countries where they make their money. In other words we steal taxes from other countries. I don't think we should get up on too many high horses when an Irish company does the same thing in Holland.

I read recently that the Irish are second only to the Aussies in the prevalence of the tall poppy syndrome.

I have to say I am a huge U2 fan and I like Bono.

I read recently that the Irish are second only to the Aussies in the prevalence of the tall poppy syndrome.

I have to say I am a huge U2 fan and I like Bono.

I don't think that is it at all. I admire Bono and U2 for what they have achieved over the years. They have been a credit to Ireland. Bono was also very nice the one time I met him! I think they are free to make as much money as they can and run their tax affairs in any way they see fit.

The problem remains there is bound to be a credibility problem when a multi-millionaire is lecturing the world on problems such as aids and poverty. Maybe if like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Chuck Feeney etc, he put his money where his mouth is he might get respect from the 'begrudgers'. All I see is a rock star who gets off being able to drop in on the British Prime Minister and US President for a chat. Even the others members of the band admit that he annoys them sometimes.

Bono's views on begrudgery & Irish vs US attitudes come to mind:

American guy: See that guy with the big house/car etc? One day I'm gonna be like that.

Irish guy: See that guy with the big house/car etc? One day I'm gonna get him...

He does annoy me though...

I think he takes both - i.e. artist's exemption on certain earnings and moves elsewhere for a more favourable tax regime for other earnings/operations that are not exempt. I don't think that the latter are all in his sole name either. Either way it's all legitimate tax planning as far as I know. I have a solution to the issue of any alleged hypocrisy or preaching that he engages in. I just don't read/listen to what he has to say on issues such as globalisation, poverty, developing countries in debt etc.

I have a solution to the issue of any alleged hypocrisy or preaching that he engages in. I just don't read/listen to what he has to say on issues such as globalisation, poverty, developing countries in debt etc.

Why? Is that because you don't think he has anything to useful to say on the subject or is it because you find his alleged hypocisy or preaching annoying?

I'm not interested in what he has to say. Is that OK? I'm not the one alleging hypocrisy by the way - the original poster is.

I'm not interested in what he has to say. Is that OK? I'm not the one alleging hypocrisy by the way - the original poster is.

I wasn't having a go. I was just wondering why ordinary people don't seem to listen to what he has to say on such important subjects when he seems to pop up at every world leader conference so obviously has their attention and must have some valid observations. I just find him annoying when he goes on about the issues so I switch off. I know the politicians view it as a PR exercise so the question needs to be asked does Bono actually do any good or is he just a fool for allowing himself be used? Does anyone listen to him??

I have a solution to the issue of any alleged hypocrisy or preaching that he engages in. I just don't read/listen to what he has to say on issues such as globalisation, poverty, developing countries in debt etc.

*claps hands* I am exactly the same. It's great that U2 have done so well for themselves and a lot of people consider them to be Ireland's best export. However, personally i find it hard to take Bono's activist work seriously (I don't know why so please don't ask) so i just switch off to his preaching.

Back