AIB I enquired about breaking in late 2008 but didn't pursue it...

tnegun

Now you're just teasing :D. I was in communication in Jan 2009 regarding breaking and got a quote dated mid-January 2009! I've gone back to my SAR response and it doesn't include anything from this time period I've asked them again for any record. I reckon it's worth the punt to say hang on guys I was denied my tracker option in this period too!

Hi gun

You got a quote.

But so what?

Did you break out?

If not, you are not covered.

Brendan

Yes I fully agree, I wasn't given the full picture at the time is my point/angle and was actively seeking to change so may well have done so then if offered a tracker. I've a copy of a fax sent in Nov 2008 from a branch to home mortgages. It was just changing the repayment date but we were discussing our options regarding breaking and the sustainability of our mortgage so can demonstrate we were seeking our options at that time if thats worth anything. Sorry for dragging this off topic!

Many thanks for going to the trouble of enquiring Brendan. Will keep all posted on my AIB response. Presuming I will get a generic response, and computer will say no. In 2009, Jan 12th was a Monday Jan 15th a Wednesday... I'm sure that won't matter when it comes to AIB, and human compassion and customer care.
Yes I fully agree, I wasn't given the full picture at the time is my point/angle and was actively seeking to change so may well have done so then if offered a tracker. I've a copy of a fax sent in Nov 2008 from a branch to home mortgages. It was just changing the repayment date but we were discussing our options regarding breaking and the sustainability of our mortgage so can demonstrate we were seeking our options at that time if thats worth anything. Sorry for dragging this off topic!
V similar case to you it seems. i feel I was never led to believe tracker was an option for me, even at drawdown in September 2008.
I need to search for proof of my transactions to get the money moved from savings a.c to AIB , as this would show I had made the enquiry, and began the breakout during this time ? Might support my case...There is activity on my mortgage account Jan 2nd, 5th, 15th and 16th. Showing rate changes from 5.2 to 3.75 %. Have a print off of this , not sure how or why, but I do.

OK, so your case is

In November 2008 I enquired about breaking out of the fixed rate and asked about my interest rate options after the breakout.
They gave me a break fee but misled me about the interest rate options that would apply afterwards.
If they had told me that I could break out for €x and have a tracker at ECB +1.5% for the rest of the term, I would have broken out.
So I made a bad decision based on bad information.

It's certainly worth a shot. I wouldn't be going to the High Court on it, but it's definitely worth asking AIB and, if refused, making a complaint to the Ombudsman.

Brendan

I have a written fax, dated Jan 6th, 2009, with my quoted breakage cost, new VARIABLE RATE quoted %,
I have docs.from my local branch stamped jan 7th, 2009.
No talk of tracker as an option, and quote valid for 10 days.
I broke out on Jan 15th (a Wednesday).
SIR confirmed and applied Jan 16th.
Would it be nieve to think AIB won't make me go through ombudsman for this ??

I think I might try raise it through my local branch , so they can submit the docs proving the dates also, helpline only takes minutes of the query...which I feel lends itself to a generic AIB style reply.
Quite helpful agent to be fair, but wonder would it be a stronger query log, coming from a branch, to review the case.... keep ye posted....

Ok will hold off am waiting for information back on my SARs request too, to see whats held on file by the bank themselves.

Back