I can get a mortgage in the UK or Ireland, but not in Northern Ireland

Germaine

Can anyone please advise...

Is it possible to get a mortgage to buy a property in Northern Ireland? I am an Irish citizen living and working in Ireland. My husband is a British citizen living and working in Ireland.

We contacted Barclays International who do ex-pat mortgages for UK citizens. They don't cover Northern Ireland.
HSBC have similar ex pat mortgage open to Uk citizens but you need to have £60k in a HSBC premier account which cannot be used as part of the mortgage / deposit to qualify.

Wondering do any Irish banks do mortgages to purchase property in Northern Ireland.

Could anyone direct me the right way? Thanks.

Apparently my husband can get an expat mortgage to buy in mainland England, Wales, France or Spain.... But not Northern Ireland. And no one can tell us why. Tried all banks with branches in ROI and NI... tried UK lenders. It's not possible but nobody knows why.

Would really appreciate if anyone can add further information to this.

A mortgage is the generic term for a selection of financial products offered by the banks. In this case you are looking for a financial product that just is not offered by the banks you have contacted. I guess the reason there is no product available for NI is because there not the demand for it, to make it worth their while.

Try the main NI based banks - Ulster Bank, Danske Bank and First Trust Bank. Let us know how you get on so future viewers have an idea.

I got an Ulster Bank mortgage on an NI property a few years ago as a Republic of Ireland resident - albeit, I worked in the North and travelled across the border daily (so didn't have the complication of euro earnings).

AIB Ireland happy to lend us the money as long as the property is in the RoI, not NI. No cross border mortgages at all any more.

So thats it - not possible.

Thank you to those who replied.