Hyundai Coupe

techman

Anyone have any thoughts on the Hyundai Coupe?

Seem to have good resale and a good spec.

Opinions welcomed.

New model is superb, looks fantastic, great to drive, bombproof build quality, good warranty, good service costs, I'd love a black one and if I need a second car I may get one.

I had one (old model) from 1998 (it was new) to earlier this year. Excellent in all ways. Even after I stopped needing it (ie when his nibs moved in and we had one too many cars) I still kept it outside the house for a long time (show off!) before finally giving in and selling it. Got good value for it too!

RS2K said:
1.6 is cack. Needs a 2.0 to perform decently.
Would have to agree with this. Am thinking of buying a mk3 (2002-) onwards second hand and have only had a chance to drive the 1.6 thus far, although a beautiful car to look at the performance was absymal. Looking forward to trying a 2.0 though..

Also the 'good spec' really only applies to the 2.0 and above unless you start adding on extras. Maybe it's changed on the newer models but the 1.6s i tryed didn't even have aircon!

My wife has a 00 model.
In my opinion the body shape has improved release on release.
The preformance has remained the same.
I also agree with RS2K on the power in the 1.6, won't go as far as saying it's cack.
The car was built to corner, it is like it is in tracks going around corners!
It is class on good roads but on the rougher country roads the ride can be tiring.
It is a car I would probably buy again, I've had good fun in my wife's one!

Is there any particular year/model you are looking at?

gocall01 said:
It is class on good roads but on the rougher country roads the ride can be tiring.

Is there any particular year/model you are looking at?

Is this the case? The roads around me are full of potholes - do you reckon this car would be unsuitable as I was considering buying one as my next car?

Make sure you can fit into the car comfortably.

I am 6 foot tall, I found the coupe very cramped head room was rubbish.

If you fit ok then nice looking car, the twin exhaust on the 2.8 look great should be quick enough to shoot around those potholes.

Frank has made a good point about the head room.
I'm 5' 11'' in thick soled shoes and it is a little short on the head room.
I would suggest even if you intending buying privately that you take one for test drive.
This is really the only way to make your decision before progressing any further.
Finally, if there are more potholes than road itself then it may not be a great idea.

I definitely agree about the space.. I have a 99 1.6 - also agree it could have a bit more power in it. Any passengers I take complain about feeling claustrophobic in the back seat - and its not at all comfy for them on a long journey. I am 5 7" but must admit its sometimes a struggle to get out of it myself! Especially if trying to carry a bag or something with you. Love the new models... oh maybe in 2010!

I disagree with some of the comments re the 1.6 coupe. Pound for Pound it is up there with the best power for a 1.6 around, by far more responsive than a 1.6 Golf or A3 (albeit better built cars). I agree it corners great.
I haven't had a drive in the 2.0, but the boys in topgear questioned why spend extra cash on a small improvement in power, so take from that what you will.

I have mine 2 years now (02 model second hand) and has been a good drive. You do feel everything in it though and the beast is begining to rattle a bit, which is the only fault I can find with the car - it looks good but is a bit 'tinny' in design.

All in all, great value for a good looking car with decent performance, which has held its value.

no offence..but i think the car looks good on ladies..not really a man's car.

When buying a car its all about your expectation,There is a lot of road noise, So low to the ground that you do feel everything, Give probs with elecs, Door locks, window regulators, mis-fires in the engine, imob and key probs. Sevice cost are not to bad, most of these probs are not going to keep the car off the road but they are annoying and go again and again.
Rattles bangs and knocks you will heard a lot of, and it really is only a 2 seater.

Back