Hypothetical accident involving a stolen car

François

Whilst watching an American police chase show earlier my mind began to wander.

If I was a driving on the M50 in the slow lane and I carelessly pulled out into the overtaking lane without checking my mirrors, and was rear ended by the car in the overtaking lane because I didn't have enough time or space to complete the manoeuvre. Who would be responsible for covering any damages caused by the accident if the car that hit me was stolen, driven by an unlicensed driver, exceeding the speed limit 140km/h in a 120km/h zone and being chased by the Gardai?

Another scenario, who would be at fault and liable if I was turning right into a street with a no right turn sign and I was hit head on by a drunk driver?

I apologise if this is not a suitable question for this forum.

As the aforementioned accidents are 100% your fault, you may be liable for damages and prosecution for dangerous driving.

Whether or not any third parties get prosecuted for their offences, which are not directly related to your accidents, is a matter between the authorities and them.

The law does not absolve you from responsibility for keeping within it just because other people do not. And remember the road safety adds - expect the unexpected.

Csirl is correct,

The Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland covers people injured by uninsured or untraced drivers provided the innocent party had valid insurance cover himself at the time of the accident.

So in the two scenarios, could either of the two individuals claim for injuries they sustained in the accident from my insurance even though one was joyriding and the other was sloshed at the wheel.

Would the insurance company not want to split the responsibility in the first case ?

Back