HyperText Transfer Protocol

Purple

I'm looking for more help. When I log on to a web site some of the images are not showing. They come up as a blank box with a small red X in the corner. When I right click on the image and look at Properties is says that my HyperText Transfer Protocol is not available. How do I make it available?
Any help appreciated.

HyperText Transfer Protocol is in fact HTTP (as in http://...), so the error message is misleading since you wouldn't be getting any of the page content (or ever be able to browse) if it wasn't working.

The red X normally indicates a problem on the other end where the page description says to include an image, but the server can't find an image.

I take it that this is only happening when you log into a particular site ?

If you are in work you might find that your IT department have blocked certain images in order to reduce bandwidth consumption and advertsing - so this is another possibility. The web page is requesting an image, but your network is preventing the image from being downloaded

z

Hi Zag,
No it's on all web sites and the security settings for my PC on the server are the same as everyone elses in the office. I can't figure it out...

When you say some images do not show correctly do you mean that some do? What happens when you press F5 or Ctrl-F5 to force a page refresh? Do the same graphics consistently show/not show for a particular page/site even after forcing a page refresh? Have you tried another browser?

What browser? Did they show before? If so what changed in the meantime? Have you tried another browser?

Microsoft internet explorer. It's a new PC so no, they didn't show before.
I havn't tried another browser.

If I was you I'd install FireFox (actually I'd also stick with that but that's another matter...) and see if JPEGs appear OK using it. If they do then it's an IE specific issue - possibly the options/settings. If they don't appear in FireFox then it's a more general problem with the PC or the server/proxy.

Thanks for all the help. I will give that a go and do a bit more digging.

http://www.sitetoview.com/graphics/homeimages/plant_04-over.jpg is given as the URL address in General properties. Type, size, created and modifies all show "Not Available".

Last edited:
The properties will display as "Not Available" because the browser doesn't have the object (JPEG graphic file) from which to get these. Why the browser can't get the object in the first place is the key question. You could compare your IE browser settings with those of your colleagues whose browsers work OK and see if you can spot any differences. No chance that you're running a firewall (e.g. XP SP2 firewall) and they're not in case that's causing the problem? Trying FireFox would definitely be a good idea too.

Back