Hygiene in cafés

bskinti

I asked in a café the other day why are there spoons stored upside down at their self service check out,the manager wondered at my complaint as it was first time ever of such a complaint, There tea spoons were in a fancy cup like thing with the handles down and the spoon pointed up, imagine someone after picking their nose or scratching their nonads and then fumble a few spoons to get their one and you get your one next and stir your lovely cuppa, very hygienic and nobody ever complain??? hard to believe, Has anyone ever seen this? or would it concern you?

Re: Hygene in cafe's

What are nonads??lol

Here's one for you..assuming you don't live alone; what is the last place you wash with the soap in the shower and the first place the next person washes???

Re: Hygene in cafe's

If they are stashed 'handle up' does that not mean all the crap slides down into the bottom of the cup (or whatever) to soak them with pickings (etc) until you choose to use them?
I think all spoons should be individually wrapped for hygienicioutiousnessity.
I'll be on to Joe Duffy 2morrow.

Re: Hygene in cafés

Or how about the uncovered scones on open display beside the checkout?.

What gets me going is Cafe staff who handle food and money with the same gloves on. Why do they think they are waring the gloves in the first place? Where I work a complaint was made to the managment and the offending staff member was put right. Next day, same thing with another staff member.
I give up.

If you pour your boiling hot tea over the spoon it will kill any microorganisms and if not your stomach acid will. If you think thats unhygienic you wont wont to hear that some of the most dangerous and well known organisms are found on door handles everywhere,phones in house/offices and many other places where more than one person uses an item. I'd be more worried about the hundreds of unnatural man made chemicals coursing through your veins, we all have everything from flame retardants to pesticides in our bodies albeit in miniscule levels.

bearishbull said:
If you think thats unhygienic you wont wont to hear that some of the most dangerous and well known organisms are found on door handles everywhere,phones in house/offices and many other places where more than one person uses an item.
What organisims? How many people have been killed as a result of sucking a doorknob?

ClubMan said:
What organisims? How many people have been killed as a result of sucking a doorknob?

I'm waiting on the CSO to get back to me on that one.

How many people have died from not washing their hands after going to the toilet? Maybe none, but it doesn't excuse the fact that it's a disgusting habit.

It's such a disgusting habit that I'd be very surprised if anyone came on here and admitted to it. Or are you the first?

In local cafe last Friday, this is a very small cafe with fire door at the back. Noticed the chef outside having a cigarette she then came back in and continued making a salad - no gloves! - I just asked for a coffee. I gave up the fags about 4 months ago now - am I being too sensitive?

Isn't the whole hospital bug (MRSA) problem caused by the same casual approach to reasonable standards of hygiene?

The unwillingness of some medical staff to wash hand between examining patients is symptomatic of the same poor standards of hygiene that exist in restaurants.

Better wash all the cash you have as banknotes and coins are notorious for having all sorts of bacteria dirt etc on them!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_1684553.htm

The researchers found a range of organisms on coins and notes, including those that cause food poisoning or diarrhoea.

These included low levels of coliforms such as Escherichia coli, bacteria typically associated with the colon and generally linked with poor hygiene; Staphylococcus aureus, a common organism with some strains that can cause disease in susceptible people; and Bacillus cereus, which causes food poisoning if cooking does not kill its tough spores.

But what surprised the researchers was evidence of salmonella bacteria.

"It did worry me a bit," says Vriesekoop.

Also surprising was the number of bacteria that were resistant to one or more commonly prescribed antibiotics, like amoxycillin, roxithromycin and cefaclor.

"This was higher than I anticipated," he says.