Huge Electric Ireland Bill

TM?964

I am living in my home 29 years all bills are approximately the same but from August 18 to November 19 our bill was estimated I sent in an accurate reading in November 19 and there was a difference of €270 which seems reasonable over such a long period but we have now received a read meter bill for for almost €1350 which is astronomical they are saying from November reading to February reading we used 8000 units which is impossible I have checked my meter for last few days using washing machine tumble dryer etc to see usuage but we are using 15-20 units a day turned off electricity and meter stopped which they say meter is correct we have not changed anything in the house we don't have electric heaters my husband is an electrician can't find any fault just cannot figure how we could use this amount any advise please really worried

Why did you leave it over 15 months without sending in a meter reading. That bill is astronomical, I would be in the phone to them asking for explanation.

It has to be a mistake so don’t worry about it. I guess the lesson is to submit frequent readings.

they are saying from November reading to February reading we used 8000 units

You took a meter reading in November so is it the case that the meter says you have used 8000 units? Or do your figures disagree with Electric Ireland?

my husband is an electrician can't find any fault

Surely he is best qualified to advise. What does he think has happened?

Are you sure you read the meter correctly in November?
Can you not check the current meter reading?

The meter readings they used for the bills are shown on the bill, so check that they have used the correct reading.

I would guess that your November reading is wrong. ESB Networks are notoriously poor in estimating bills, in every single case where I've had an estimated bill,there has been a gross under-estimation. I always correct this immediately and get an actual reading billed. They under-estimated your usage from August 18 to November 19 and you mis-tread the reading. Do you have actual bills with accurate readings from previous years for comparison? While the money part of the bills may vary with pricing changes, in the absence of appliance changes or consumption increases, the units should remain constant. HTH

Back