HSE pension contributions and starting Graduate position with pension.

Up Rovers

Hi All,

Just wondering if you could give me some advice for a young relative who has gained a Graduate position which they will be starting when they finish their exams. This position will have a pension attached to the post.

They worked in a hospital some years ago for a number of years and contributed to a HSE pension as a result of that position. They did not get any statements or reference for those contributions but were told that they could not get a refund and that the payments would stand to them later in life presumably when they retire.

A work colleague told me some years ago that it is very important that they link in those contributions to his new pension as this would avoid start up fees which can be hefty. Is this correct and if so what should he do to arrange this?

Thanks.

A work colleague told me some years ago that it is very important that they link in those contributions to his new pension as this would avoid start up fees which can be hefty. Is this correct and if so what should he do to arrange this?

Thanks.

There is no such thing as start up fees for a PS pension.

Normally PS pensions can be linked if you leave PS employment and rejoin the PS within 6 months. As you state that the previous service was a number of years ago, the PS scheme that your friend will be joining will the single scheme. You say your relative has previous service but is starting on a graduate scheme, if you have more details, the link may give more clarity on previous entitlements.

Back