HP Laptop - Hibernation - USB Problem

kmelvin

Hi everyone,

So I was using my laptop last night, playing FEAR (I'm hooked) and the laptop went into hibernation mode.

When it re-started, my USB mouse stopped working. No reason why. I tested the mouse on a different machine and it works fine. The USB ports appear to be working (in device manager) - although I didn't physically test another device on it.

I didn't need to install drivers for it. I'm going to test another USB device on it tonight - if that doesn't work then its System Restore time.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this problem and if they had
a fix?

Thanks

Karl

...wireless usb mouse...yeah, i had probelms at the start with my hp, seemd to be a conflict with the graphics card, i've an nvida 256 one, i meesed around with it, on desktop and it seemed to sort it out

Have you rebooted since it came out of hibernation? I have found some funny stuff with XP and certain laptops when they come out of hibernation or suspend mode - e.g. on my current laptop when it comes out of hibernation then wireless networking often simply stops working and only a reboot will rectify the problem. I haven't been able to get to the bottom of this or rectify it any other way (e.g. disable/reenable the device, ipconfig /renew etc.).

The problem is with an optical (USB) mouse.

I tried rebooting and no joy. Seems to be a common problem.

I'll keep working on it.

Thanks anyway

Karl

Try removing and readding the device in Device Manager : Start -> right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware property page -> Device Manager -> Mice and other pointing devices -> <your mouse> -> right click and choose uninstall) and then choose Action -> Scan for hardware changes and see if that helps?

Thanks - I'll try this tonight.

Has anyone attempted to un-install the USB controller before?

I've done it on my toshiba in work - it simply scans for the driver again after and finds it. I'm wondering if its safe on my HP laptop? I suppose another system restore just before I do it should cover my backside.
Thanks

Karl

Has anyone attempted to un-install the USB controller before?
Do you mean physically or in Device Manager? And do you mean the USB controller itself or one or more attached devices?
I suppose another system restore just before I do it should cover my backside.
You mean create a new System Restore checkpoint before making changes I presume?