HP Desktop won't start up properly - Anyone know why ?

allthedoyles

Its a HP Desktop . I thought it was the monitor , but not.

When I press the power button , it starts up and blinks on the monitor a few times .

However , the monitor remains black.

So , what I have to do is .....hit F8 and quickly move the cursor up to '' last known configuration '' ( I only get one second to get this right as I can't see it on screen any longer )

Then wahaay ..........My Pc is working normal .

Can anyone tell me what is wrong please ?

something is getting in the way of the boot process.
you could try to
press F8 at boot to bring up the boot menu,
select:
Enable Boot Logging: This option turns on logging when the computer is started with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration. The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the %SystemRoot% folder.

let it boot (and fail).
next restart the PC using the Last Known good, go open the Ntbtlog.txt file and look for something that says "failed" or something on the lines.
you should then be able to understand what is the component crashing the boot.

alternatively, if you recently installed a few apps, you could go in last known good, uninstall ALL of them and reboot. it MAY work, but your guess is as good as mine.

hope it helps,
N

That sounds like the 'Black Wall of Death' that I got about 4 weeks ago which was caused by a windows update (I found out later) I went into safe mode and did a system restore and hey presto, thank yikes it was simple to fix :D

To delay updates for a week or two incase of faulty one (again) I enabled 'windows update notifications' and now I choose what and when to install myself.

Back