Hows your sums...is the M50 worth taking?

car

I drive about 23 miles each way to work from ashbourne area to citywest. I have 2 options, take the N2/M50 or take the back roads (ratoath, dunboyne, liexlip, celbridge etc).

As an exercise I took the back roads for one week and took the M50 for a week. I have a computer thingy in the car that gives me average mpg until I reset it. For the 2 weeks I averaged 32mpg using the M50 and 24mpg using the back roads (probably as a result of constant breaking/accelerating from lights/hills/sharp bends).

Heres the maths bit...
according to google. 1 US gallon = 3.79 litres
1.10 euro a litre = 4.169 euro per gallon.
Back roads: 46 miles /24 mpg * 4.169e per gallon = 7.99e per day on fuel
M50: 46 miles / 32mpg * 4.169e per gallon = 5.99e per day on fuel

So while I pay 3.60 on tolls, I save 2 euro per day on fuel taking the M50. Do those figures look right? If so, the actual daily cost on the M50 is 1.60e (tolls minus fuel saving) but I gain 40 minutes and we all know time is money so verdict is to take the M50.

Other factors
Less stress on the car with the better roads on the N2 and the M50, this may pay off in the long run with lower maintenance costs.
Less stress on me taking the N2/M50, theres very little driving stress on those roads.

Opinions? Am I missing anything?

a UK gallon is 4.54 litres which is i think what you need to use for your calculation.

thanks for that, didnt know there was a difference between US gallon and an imperial gallon..

Fuel costs then turn out as 9.59e back roads and 7.19 per day on the M50 so the saving is even greater at 2.40e per day.

The key for me would be the forty minutes. Anything that gets me home faster is better and worth extra cost. if time isn't an issue and the only thing you were comsidering was the cost, you would be better off geting public transport (and probably spending an extra hour commuting every day) and this would save an enormous amount of money

thanks for that, didnt know there was a difference between US gallon and an imperial gallon..

Fuel costs then turn out as 9.59e back roads and 7.19 per day on the M50 so the saving is even greater at 2.40e per day.

Excellent data. I'm quite surprised at the difference in consumption. I'll stick to main roads.

I don't get it. Why would you even consider taking the back roads if it costs you more AND takes more time?

car said:
As an exercise I took the back roads for one week and took the M50 for a week
I guess the OP did not know the result until he tried....
Do you get it now.?..

I don't get it. Why would you even consider taking the back roads if it costs you more AND takes more time?

as the poster points out, the figures don't include toll cost of €3.60. if included the M50 cost is more expensive, but with shorter journey time, so it's not a case of backroads being more expensive and longer journey time...

as the poster points out, the figures don't include toll cost of €3.60. if included the M50 cost is more expensive, but with shorter journey time, so it's not a case of backroads being more expensive and longer journey time...

€3.60 - €2.40 = €1.20.
€1.20 to save 40 minutes. Unless the OP gets paid €1.80 an hour or less then this is time well spent (literally).

€3.60 - €2.40 = €1.20.
€1.20 to save 40 minutes. Unless the OP gets paid €1.80 an hour or less then this is time well spent (literally).

agreed - I was pointing out that extopia wasn't factoring in the toll cost when he stated that back roads were more expensive.

I changed job last year and now get DART instead of driving, saving myself over 1 hr a day now, plus with yearly tax deductible ticket...

m50 in the morning , backroads with a good radio program on in the evening to unwind.

m50 in the morning , backroads with a good radio program on in the evening to unwind.

spot on !