How to trace a leak

M

mmc

During the past winter I have had a problem with water leaking through the ceiling of a bay window.
My engineer has assessed the situation and he feels the problem is that with the high winds and rain the water is seeping through the plastered wall above the window and down through the ceiling.

1) Is there any easy way to either prove or disprove his theory?
For obvious reasons I want to minimise the disturbance necessary.

He is recommending that I paint over the plaster with a water sealer.
2) Any recommendations on a good water sealer?

I’m looking for a permanent solution that can be painted over

I have the exact same problem but i believe it's coming in under the lead of the bay window. To be safe i'm painting drylok on the plaster to seal it

[broken link removed]

millertime,
have you used this "drylok" product on exterior walls previously ?
Seems to be used mostly for basements according to the websites.

There are products out there from a company called kryton.
Has anybody experience of using them on the exterior of a dwelling house

[broken link removed]

Ronseal have a range of product but they seem to have a limited lifespan.

My brother-in-law who lives in Limerick had the same problem before Christmas. Bay window and rain during the extremely bad weather then, ended up on the ceiling and consequently on the sitting room floor. He got a builder to look at it and assess the problem. His insurance company would not entertain him (aint that typical) so his builder who would be small time, did a repair job in so far as the house is red brick so he repaired under the lead flashing by first of all peeling it away and putting in sealer and repairing it after that.

So far so good! But I would suggest to go to a builder rather than an engineer as these guys have more of a "hands on" solution to the problem.

Ah ok, eitherway is there anyway you can check up into the cavity to see if the cavity tray has been omitted perhaps ?

How old/young is the house ? Can Homebond do something ? Water penetration is guaranteed for 5 years

That is the question in a nutshell.
Is there anyway I can look into the cavity without causing major disturbance.

My Carpenter has removed slates from the roof of the bay window and he is satisfied that the lead and the roof is prefect. The engineer verified this.

The house was built last year. Main concern at this stage is to get to the root of the problem. Will sort homebond after that.

STOOOPPPPPPPPP !

Let Homebond get to the root of the problem for you. Call them up and explain the situation and have them send you out a complaint form, they will then send out their engineer who will check out the problem and try resolve and problems.

Though on second thoughts, it might be too late for you this time as you have someone doing remedial works for you, they might not send an engineer out until such time as it leaks again - after those works are finished.

What should happen in this situation is as follows - You see water coming in, the house has been built in the last 5 years, DO NOTHING BUT contact Homebond, and let them take over. DON'T employ anyone in advance of contacting Homebond - that is the key to getting the matter sorted sooner rather than later.

PS - To the best of my knowledge the 5 year guarantee starts from the date of their survey of the house and NOT from the day you close on the sale.

My brother-in-law who lives in Limerick had the same problem before Christmas. Bay window and rain during the extremely bad weather then, ended up on the ceiling and consequently on the sitting room floor. He got a builder to look at it and assess the problem. His insurance company would not entertain him (aint that typical) so his builder who would be small time, did a repair job in so far as the house is red brick so he repaired under the lead flashing by first of all peeling it away and putting in sealer and repairing it after that.

So far so good! But I would suggest to go to a builder rather than an engineer as these guys have more of a "hands on" solution to the problem.

Any idea what kind of sealer he used???.

That is the question in a nutshell.
Is there anyway I can look into the cavity without causing major disturbance.

My Carpenter has removed slates from the roof of the bay window and he is satisfied that the lead and the roof is prefect. The engineer verified this.

The house was built last year. Main concern at this stage is to get to the root of the problem. Will sort homebond after that.

One way would be to lift the interior window sill and look down assuming it's not filled in on top..

PS i haven't yet used DRYLOK

I'm thinking of either lifting the upstairs window sill to have a look down or making a hole in the bay ceiling to have a look up.

Is there any camera type device out there that I could use to look around the cavity ?

Back