How to tax 2nd hand car that was tax exempt?

michaelm

I just bought a 2nd hand car from a dealer. It was used for a disabled person so was tax exempt or some such. I therefore have no tax disc. Do I need to be pro-active in getting it taxed or will my ownership docs and a letter from the motor tax office arrive in due course?

... Do I need to be pro-active in getting it taxed or will my ownership docs and a letter from the motor tax office arrive in due course?
Anything you do from now on is reactive as presumably the Vehicle Licensing Certificate or Vehicle Registration Certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles, has been signed by you and sent to Shannon by the motor-trader. You cannot tax the car until your "ownership documents" arrive anyway.

If the car was tax-exempt, are you happy that any driver or passenger modifications have been set back to factory standard condition (air-bags deactivated, seat belts changed from standard, seat adjusters modified, etc)?

If the car was tax-exempt, are you happy that any driver or passenger modifications have been set back to factory standard condition (air-bags deactivated, seat belts changed from standard, seat adjusters modified, etc)?
Yes, it's all good. Just a hoist in the boot to lift a wheelchair, which has now been removed.