How to succeed at a pre-planning meeting?

Jim Dwyer

Meeting planning official next week for pre-planning meeting. Not confident as site is in area deemed agricultural use-only. However, precedence has been set (in my mind at least) by a FPP grant that was given to a site located across the road.

Looking for any tips and negotiations techniques to support my case.

Have my own pre-plannning meeting on Wednesday next so interested in any tips also...

Hi there. One of the main obstacles in rural areas is the requirement for a 'local need'. Have your spiel ready for this. I had a meeting with a planner on foot of a refusal (and just prior to a re-submission); at which I had a response for each of the issues that arose on said refusal. The main thing is to be prepared; you won't get a second chance to make a good first impression :) Also, I submitted a letter to the Co. Sec. with the second application so that the points I had made in the pre-planning meeting would be on file and considered with the application. Good luck to you both.

i'd second the point about the local need, this is very important now. show that you have links to the area and you want to maintain those links. I don't know your personal circumstances but you could also say, for example, that have lived in the area all your life (provide supporting documents eg utility bills or bank statements with your address) you would like to have your own home while still being close to the family home so that a) you can be close to them in their old age or b) you can assist them in the running of the family farm.
Another good point to make is that you will disrupt the existing vegitation and landscape as little as possible and that you will plant some mature trees in order to help blend the house in with the surroundings and screen it from the road.

Meeting the local needs requirements is a must. In addtional to Jfk's advise, if possible try to get letters from the local school you attended / parish priest / local sports club (if your a member of any) etc. These are small details but everything helps when it comes to submitting he planning applications. Also, (and this may not be as big an issue) be aware of the houses that are in the surrounding area to where you plan to build, are you looking to bulid a two story house when all around you are bungalows. Your proposed build has to be able to plend into the existing area.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to AAM.

I've moved your thread to the Homes and Gardens' Forum as you may receive more replies there.

These previous threads might give some advice.

Hi Jim, don't go into the pre-planning meeting expecting 'success'! Trying to avoid failure is more like it!

The first thing the planner will probably say to you is that nothing they say in this meeting will constitute an indication of approval for your application!

We had two meetings, the first said that our design was great and that we would have no trouble getting planning. Our planning was refused. The second, a year and a half later, with an unchanged plan, said that we would have no chance of getting planning. Our planning was approved!

The whole process is a mess - particularly here in Offaly - if you are lucky and there is some consistency in your local planning department, you may escape with your sanity!

In the end, it was the local need that got us planning (two parents to look after, one with cancer, one with Parkinsons) and even then it took two and a half years!

i would second headcase. local need will swing it for you but you will have to beg. We sent employment and school letters and also our own begging letter stating our marriage, christenings and all the parental and siblings locations. Also quoted sections of the kerry local plan and also An Taisce. You will need to quote the bits referring to local need and try to make them contradict what they are trying to refuse you for.
most sensible to design house to fit in with exactly what is around you ie: height, scale, style and ask them just how contemporary you can be allowed - round windows, lots of windows, skylights etc. Renewable energy in your plans will also win you points!

Hi,
Our site has sensitive views and once they came to see to site they refused planning our of house as it was too tall. So the pre-planning meeting was a waste of time. We visited our councillor who told us that he would have made the application with us and got the planner to meet us on site for the pre-planning meeting, thereby any issues with views, landscape extra could be covered straight away rather than after submission. We got planning for a single storey with our councillor's advice. It is above board to seek your local councillor help as they have alot of experience in this area. I would suggest visiting them as they may give good advice to you prior to your meeting and its free!

when we met with the planning crowd we brought pictures of what type of houses we liked and he said yes or no.... mind you it was mostly no!!! he just gave us a list of things we needed to get, etc. we also mentioned to him that there maybe some issue to access on to the lane - safety wise and he put us in contact with the health and safety crowd. so we had to comply with their recommendations... even went as far as legal agreements....

all you can do is ask loads of questions about things you want and dont want...

I went to the pre planning meeting with my architect, housing need, bona fidas for the area and ribbon development were the major issues. Also, you mention precenent has already been set - emphasise this as they are quite worried about the setting of precedent in the first instance. You will need your reasons well thought through and don't argue with them. They need to be satisfied that there planning guidelines are not breached - so try and anticipate where your application might cause them concern and have a good response ready.
I left the pre planning meeting quite pessimistic about my chances of building where I had requested and it took a further submission and a couple of phone calls from the architect to get the planners to consider it.
I got the planning in the end with a few changes.

The local needs issue has been addressed in the posts above but on that front the only advice I can give you is that if you feel you are on the fringes of the requirements or perhaps not "eligible" then you need ony ask the planner what the conditions are in this regard and say nothing at all about your own personal circumstances. The meeting by virtue of its name is merely to look at what hurdles you will encounter and for the planner to explain these to you and give you information on the requirements of of the County Development Plan. It is certainly not a case of being successful at these meetings its more along the lines of being informed and seeking comment from the planner on all aspects of your future application.

You will also need to know where you intend to source your domestic water supply, where stormwater can be discharged to, are you capable of achieving the necessary vision lines (varies a bit depending on the class of road), what type of house (single 2 storey?) would be permitted, any recorded monuments in the vicinity etc.

As you can see its not just about proving your bona fides and in fact as I said you dont have to show anything at all at the pre planning meeting in relation to this point. All relevant documentation will be submitted with your planning application.

Finally it would help if your architect/agent was present at the meeting also and sometimes a local councillor can get the odd nod and wink from the planners. On conclusion of the meeting you should have an idea as to what way your application is likely to be determined.

Good luck with it.

Back