How to store vegetable seeds?

zoe

Was just wondering which is the best way to store vegetable seeds?

I was reading here;
[broken link removed]

that a good way is to place the seeds inside a glass jar with a tight fitting lid then put the jar in the refrigerator.

Also to place a little packet of silica gel inside the jar.

I presume they mean to place the jar in the standard fridge section and not in the ice-making compartment or freezer.

Is this the best way to store seeds? Any ideas? Thanks!

With a tightly sealed jar possibly moisture could build up inside it.
Better to let them breathe instead, see here.... [broken link removed]

That's a great site. Thanks for that...

So maybe storing them in a small container that is not airtight (such as a container made from cardboard, or perhaps a small metal biscuit tin) and include a little silica gel packet to absorb any moisture.

Then storing somewhere dark and cool, such as at the back of a wardrobe in the coolest room in the house.

If they were in a small metal biscuit tin and also with a silica gel packet, what do you think of the idea of keeping the tin in the fridge?

Should be grand.
An cardboard file box would be ideal, as there will be no condensation build up, and you can file your different seeds away in envelopes.

If they were in a small metal biscuit tin and also with a silica gel packet, what do you think of the idea of keeping them in the fridge?

Should be grand also.
Much safer than the see-through glass jar anyway, as I don't know how the seeds would react to the light coming on every time you go for a snack.